The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
Sebambam

Another Turn signal Q ( Driver side only)

I cant get my Driver side Turn signals to work Front and Back.

New Bulbs (Double checked and they are fine)
Flasher is OK
Parking light OK L+R
Headlights L+R , Taillight L+R OK
Hazard lights work (both sides) Front and Back
No blown Fuses
i have 12v at the switch on Purple ( 12v Supply) and on the Yellow when engaged Leverl to driver side.
New Voltage regulator ( working fine)
I have 12 V all to the front Socket that plugs into the Blinker housing.
I have double checked the Grounds and confirmed that they are OK
I have tried to JUMPER from Purple to Yellow= NOTHING
I tapped in a dditional ground to the Black headlight socket wire to garantee additional Ground = nothing

I am confused that it affects Front and back, that makes me rule out the housings. Also the Parking and Headlights work.

Since i have 12 v to the Blinker Socket i am sure i do not have 12 V issue.

Any ideas where to Look?
Sebambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:01 PM   #2
Accelo

Re: Another Turn signal Q ( Driver side only)

With your trouble description the issue almost has to be in the switch. Since the hazards work all four lights are proven to function. Seems you have covered most every other scenario. I would purchase a new switch.
I recommend this seller. I went through the big truck parts sellers and received and received incorrect switch. The price was also less through carswitchs. Then first plug it in, without placing it in the column, to prove the issue as they are typically a pain to replace. Just plug the terminals into the mate without inserting them into the plug first. They arrive de-pined to make the install easier.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/carswitches...75.m3561.l2562
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
Sebambam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
With your trouble description the issue almost has to be in the switch. Since the hazards work all four lights are proven to function. Seems you have covered most every other scenario. I would purchase a new switch.
I recommend this seller. I went through the big truck parts sellers and received and received incorrect switch. The price was also less through carswitchs. Then first plug it in, without placing it in the column, to prove the issue as they are typically a pain to replace. Just plug the terminals into the mate without inserting them into the plug first. They arrive de-pined to make the install easier.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/carswitches...75.m3561.l2562
thanks i should have mentioned that it is a brand new steering column with a new switch.
and doesnt the switch sends the 12 v to the turn signal? If i set the Turn signal lever to L turn i get full 12V to the blinker ( it hink that is all the switch does?)
Old 02-02-2022, 03:11 PM   #4
pjmoreland

I am confused by the fact that you have 12V on the yellow wire with your left turn signal switch on, but the turn signals aren't lighting up. And at the same time, your hazards work. In one case, the wiring and grounds appear to be functional, but in the other case they aren't.

When you put your turn signal switch in the left position, do the left turn signal lights turn on, but don't flash?

I'm not sure this is relevant, but to both of your brake lights work?

Oh, and just because the turn signal switch is new doesn't mean it's good. I installed a new turn signal switch in my truck that had an internal short. I installed another turn signal switch that had dried up contact grease that prevented my brake lights from working, but my turn signals still worked.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:30 PM   #5
Sebambam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I am confused by the fact that you have 12V on the yellow wire with your left turn signal switch on, but the turn signals aren't lighting up. And at the same time, your hazards work. In one case, the wiring and grounds appear to be functional, but in the other case they aren't.

When you put your turn signal switch in the left position, do the left turn signal lights turn on, but don't flash?

I'm not sure this is relevant, but to both of your brake lights work?

Oh, and just because the turn signal switch is new doesn't mean it's good. I installed a new turn signal switch in my truck that had an internal short. I installed another turn signal switch that had dried up contact grease that prevented my brake lights from working, but my turn signals still worked.
I am as confused as you

the turn signal does not turn on at all not flashing or solid, when i turn the lever to the Left.

I get 12 v to the White port as well which is the Brake lights
BUT only the RIGHT brake light works when pushing the pedal.

even more confusing i just saw that ONLY the L/Driver side Taillight works when turning the light on..
I am Sure they both where working before..

can the tail light wiring affect the Front blinkers?
Old 02-02-2022, 04:45 PM   #6
cj847

Is this a new build or were the lights working previously? (ie could you have switched the white and orange wire on the brake switch). Also, when you tested the bulbs did you confirm both filaments were good?
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:07 PM   #7
Sebambam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
Is this a new build or were the lights working previously? (ie could you have switched the white and orange wire on the brake switch). Also, when you tested the bulbs did you confirm both filaments were good?
Yes its a new build i can check the Brake switch wiring
the bulbs are good i even put extra new ones in just to confirm.
further they wouldnt light up anyhow if anything would be damaged i guess.

well i am just happy iam not the only one being confused lol
Old 02-02-2022, 05:41 PM   #8
pjmoreland

When debugging anything, knowledge of common issues can often provide a shortcut to a quick solution. Other times, you just have to be methodical about it. I like to start with the most basic version of a system as I can, and work my way out, adding more pieces and complexity, one step at a time. So, for example, you could do the following:

1) Do both filaments of the bulb work when connected directly to a battery?
2) With the bulb installed in the tail light housing, do both filaments still work when you connect 12V from the battery to either one of the two terminals of the tail light housing wires? Is the brighter filament lighting up when powering the brake/turn signal wire?
3) Same test, but at connector at the rear of the chassis
4) Same test, but at firewall tail light connector
5) Same test, but at dash harness side of turn signal connector
6) Same test, but on wires that input power to the turn signal switch
etc.

If you run into a problem at any point along this list, stop there and figure out and fix the cause of the problem before proceeding.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:29 PM   #9
Sebambam

I GOT IT

i knew the tail light harness was kinda butchered.
so i went in it and cleaned it up i saw that the driver side tail light had 2 brown wires connected to the brown lead coming from the harness.
i checked the diagramm and 1 of this brown wires coming from the socket should go to the licese Plate (i think ) so i disconnected it and cleaned a bunch of other stuff.

1st the tail lights where scetchy then i wiggled on the bulb and found it working
So does the tail L turn signal now.
the front was still off, but i tried the Hazard and it all worked and that must have triggered something on the Front L turn signal light so that it works now.

WOW..
i get Bulb grease and lube those sockets up