The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2022, 08:42 AM   #1
SchmidtM

67 frame off Build

67 Chevy shortbed 2wd
My plan is to convert to 4 wheel disc and also would like to know what is the most cost effective suspension upgrade? I would like to stay under 3500 to 4K on the suspension and brake setup if at all possible. Coil over would be my preference but I doubt I am close to the pricing. It will be a street queen not a racer. Thanks in advance
SchmidtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:04 AM   #2
1967-C10

Re: 67 frame off Build

have you considered the Tahoe chassis? its same virtually same wheel base. 115/116
I am also building a 67, keeping the 67 body and mating it with 2010 Tahoe Chassis in my case i am using everything on the Tahoe,chasis ,engine,firewall,floor seats wiring everything.
good Luck.
1967-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
SchmidtM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-C10 View Post
have you considered the Tahoe chassis? its same virtually same wheel base. 115/116
I am also building a 67, keeping the 67 body and mating it with 2010 Tahoe Chassis in my case i am using everything on the Tahoe,chasis ,engine,firewall,floor seats wiring everything.
good Luck.
What kind of changes will you have to make?
Old 05-04-2022, 12:21 PM   #4
Accelo

On the brakes I would use Wilwood. Having gone the "other route" and wasn't happy. Their system is as close to a trouble free installation as you can get. Just be careful the brakes fit on your existing wheels. More than once the budget gets blown when the wheels and tires don't clear the calipers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:27 PM   #5
SchmidtM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
On the brakes I would use Wilwood. Having gone the "other route" and wasn't happy. Their system is as close to a trouble free installation as you can get. Just be careful the brakes fit on your existing wheels. More than once the budget gets blown when the wheels and tires don't clear the calipers.
I will be buying new wheels so that wont matter quit yet. The reason I ask about brakes and suspension ideas was I saw some threads about the coilovers and discs making a difference. Of course that assumes I can afford them.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:38 PM   #6
sick472

I'd strongly consider saving the money on converting the rear to discs for something else. Front disc and rear drum are just fine for a cruiser, even a weekend warrior. If you plan on road racing, rear discs would be a plus. Money would be better spent elsewhere....rear discs would be the last upgrade would do.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:09 PM   #7
Accelo

sick472 brings up a good point.
I just finished installing disc brakes on an Impala. Getting the rear emergency brake cables working correctly was a PITA. Had to be able to weld. The directions left that part out.

If it was mine, it isn't so take it for what it's worth, I would put the biggest disc I could fit in the front wheels. Then leave the backs stock.
I am aware of the bragging right to seeing the big calipers on both the front and rears. Maybe save the money on the rears and it could go to the coil overs someday soon.
As I see very little practical reasons to change over the rears. And a lot of emotional reason to change them.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:11 AM   #8
SchmidtM

I agree with you all on the rear brakes, drums will save money. How about the suspension? Should I just stay stock or go coilover or another route?
Old 05-05-2022, 09:28 AM   #9
Grumpy old man

You have to decide what you want to have when your done ? what engine and trans are you planning on using , That's what needs to be done way before you start buying suspension parts , Are you taking it down to a bare frame and building up from there ? Post a few pictures of what your starting with . With a $4,000.00 budget you can rebuild your suspension and brakes with quality parts but your not going to be in budget with coil overs and what tires and wheels do you want to use ? .

Here are a few pictures of my 67 short bed .

350 4bolt V8 with a 4 speed Muncie M-22 trans and 12bolt 3.73 posi rear

2 1/2 drop spindles with 1 coil cut front about 3 1/2" total
all new Moog front suspension ,
front sway bar
front disc conversion
power steering conversion
inline tube Stainless steel power brake conversion lines
rear shock relocator brackets
5" rear drop springs
All that is in your budget , if you have the time , dry working space and tools

1st thing is to become a subscribing member the benefits on building your truck are worth the cost !
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 05-05-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:46 AM   #10
SchmidtM

Right now I have the frame with current suspension sitting on it no motor tranny nothing. I stripped the frame a few years back so I just need to get it completed. That being said I want to get my parts list ready and start ordering. I would prefer going LS swap since they are reasonably easy to get now. If costs get crazy I may just buy a GMperformance crate motor and tranny and slap them in
Old 05-05-2022, 04:43 PM   #11
LS short box

In regards to front brakes I like the C5 Corvette stuff. You can get parts if needed anywhere. There is a guy on the forum that has drop spindles, brackets and hubs.
Captain Fab offers rear disc conversions.
Another great source brake wise is Tobin at Kore3.com.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote