The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2022, 11:37 PM   #1
brianelliott0414

Chrome '68 GMC caps

Two 1968 clip style chrome GMC caps. These are presentable driver caps. Could likely be straightened out a bit and be very nice. Inner mounting area is 8-3/4". I have been told there are 1/2 ton, Heavy 1/2 ton, and 3/4 ton clip style caps. I am not sure which these are, as my knowledge of the clip style caps is very limited. Please feel free to chime in if you know. $100 plus shipping and the fee if you choose it.
Attached Images

brianelliott0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:52 PM   #2
brianelliott0414

Re: Chrome '68 GMC caps

Caps are no longer available for sale.

If anyone cares to know, I found more of these caps and I pulled the steel ring from the inside and I was able to make them into nub style half ton caps with limited modification.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2022, 07:59 AM   #3
68panelman

I always had a feeling that was only an insert in a half ton cap, never had a 3/4 cap to test/find out. Let's us know how it fits removed
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 09:38 AM   #4
DaHos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
I always had a feeling that was only an insert in a half ton cap, never had a 3/4 cap to test/find out. Let's us know how it fits removed
My experience is they don't fit well.....there is not enough "meat" in the edge to get a nice rolled lip for them to stay on properly....
Old 09-17-2022, 01:09 PM   #5
brianelliott0414

They do not fit correctly if you just pull the ring out and try to put it on a nub style wheel. I used a pair of 4” end cutter pliers and worked my way around the cap and rolled more “meat” inwards, and then worked the roll with a body hammer to give me a nice tight fitting cap. They are absolutely not as perfect as a factory cap, but any imperfections are hidden since it is the area that is tight to the rim. Some of these early caps are very hard to find, so this worked as a great solution for me with only a small time investment. Everybody has their own standards for what they want to accomplish and what is acceptable for their truck. I am more than please with the outcome for what I building.
Posted via Mobile Device