The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2022, 11:44 AM   #1
cj847

Special tools

As I am getting older, weaker, and hopefully wiser, I find myself looking for tips, tricks, and tools to make the job easier. The purpose of this thread is for a log of innovative, homemade or store-bought tools to save my back. To start I am looking for an easy way to put wheels on my truck. I struggle to lift a wheel/tire combo up 2" while lining up the lugs. I've used levers, pipes etc to get by. But, I think someone out there is smarter than me and has an easy way. Please post up anything you have for this problem as well as other helpful tools. If this is duplicating a prior thread please post a link. Thanks.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #2
LNP

Re: Special tools

I use to work for Goodyear for over 22yrs I feel your pain. Heavy ones I did on the ground I used a long pry bar to lift the tire/wheel up so I could start it on the lugs. Another easier way if you can get the vehicle high enough is to use a motorcycle jack. That works real well. I use it here at my PC shop to raise heavy 4x4 wheels/tires up to get them on the balancer.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:05 PM   #3
72SB

Well for me I use what you already have, my legs. I just sit and put tire across my upper legs and just lift tire up to wheel studs and rotate if needed to get over studs. I first set the tire with the holes close to orientation they need to be so minimal roll left or right to line up with studs. Basically, let legs do the lifting, not back or arms

While I have not seen one, you could make a curved cradle that goes on a floor jack to support tire but obviously you still need to lift the tire onto that cradle, balance guide it with one hand while you jockey floor jack into place
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #4
geezer#99

I had a set of car Dollie’s like in this link. I modded one to fit a small bottle jack on one end in the middle and could lift one side enough to lever the tire high enough.
They do make ones now that have a hydraulic ram attached.
A bit pricey though.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrm-m998035
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Make a rectangular frame out of 2" X 2" lumber, 4 feet long and 1 foot wide. Put it together with screws. You should be able to roll the tires onto the wood. The end you're going to lift should be attached above the long pieces so that you have a handle. You should have plenty of leverage that way. I knew a guy who weighed all of 140 soaking wet who worked on big trucks. He used something similar, but greased the wood. I personally don't want grease on my tire treads, so I just use that assembly as a pry bar. I have the arm strength, but an arthritic back is my problem.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:42 PM   #6
72afr
Beep! Beep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
Well for me I use what you already have, my legs. I just sit and put tire across my upper legs and just lift tire up to wheel studs and rotate if needed to get over studs. I first set the tire with the holes close to orientation they need to be so minimal roll left or right to line up with studs. Basically, let legs do the lifting, not back or arms

While I have not seen one, you could make a curved cradle that goes on a floor jack to support tire but obviously you still need to lift the tire onto that cradle, balance guide it with one hand while you jockey floor jack into place
This is how I was taught to do it as well. Works well enough for my oversized truck/jeep tires.
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:57 PM   #7
FamilyTruckster65

https://www.amazon.com/Aain-DY016-He...3D&sr=8-4&th=1

how about this?
FamilyTruckster65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:17 PM   #8
72c20customcamper

Motorcycle jack . I’ve used it to install tires on my dodge 315/70-17 34.5 inches tall and it works well as a transmission jack .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:33 PM   #9
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTruckster65 View Post
That looks great! More than I'd like to spend, but compared to a sore back for a few days, it might be worth the cost.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:46 PM   #10
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Sore back, indeed. I pulled the PG trans out of my '65 Malibu and put in a 350 trans, with no jack. Just John Armstrong. The older I get, the better I was. I wouldn't even try to pick that trans up off the ground, let alone bench press it into place, these days. It's probably why my body is so trashed...

Simi Valley, CA
Old 10-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #11
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I wouldn't even try to pick that trans up off the ground, let alone bench press it into place, these days. It's probably why my body is so trashed...
I spent a lotta years listening to a lot of my friends telling these stories. We're only in our 30's and a lot of them are all broken. Some of them are on prescription pain pills, hey sound like they're 80.

They went through all that pain just to be tough.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:17 PM   #12
Getter-Done

Maybe something like This?

Link: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ba19dc319da71d
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:48 PM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
I spent a lotta years listening to a lot of my friends telling these stories. We're only in our 30's and a lot of them are all broken. Some of them are on prescription pain pills, hey sound like they're 80.

I wasn't trying to be tough, I just didn't have a lot of help around. I truly hope that the younger guys around here aren't as cash-strapped as I was back in the day, and have more local friends to help. I was one independent cuss back then, and that attitude has come home to roost on my body. I'm only 70, and I avoid pain pills like the trouble they are. Doctors are telling me I shouldn't even take NSAIDS because of my failing kidneys, just Tylenol, which isn't all that great, for me, so I take nothing, if I can help it. The list just goes on. Eh, life happens.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 10-29-2022, 01:03 AM   #14
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

I got this years ago, works great on all sizes of tire & wheel combos. It was real handy when I put the 19.5s on my K/30. The outside drive tire & wheels weigh 120 pounds each and the inside duals we're even heavier. I could lift the tire with one hand and easily turn it to match up lugs with the other hand. I don't use it often but I wouldn't be without, it's a back saver!
Attached Images

Last edited by BLAZERMAN; 10-29-2022 at 01:10 AM.
BLAZERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 02:16 PM   #15
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Attached Images

Old 10-29-2022, 05:21 PM   #16
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I used to do that with 4-cylinder engines in Chevy Vegas. Just the short block. Pick it up, sit on a fender and swing over, plop the engine into place. SBC short blocks off the ground, into the bed of a truck, alone. Yup, I'm paying for it.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 10-31-2022, 09:35 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

I do the tires with my legs under as well. I have a starter bolt broken off in the block (recessed) and I'm dreading taking care of it. I wish I had a lift. It's a long reach up under the '72 K2500. I considered pulling the engine so I can put it on a stand and roll it over. A lot of work, but I could re-gasket and reseal engine/trans/transfer case. I see less pain in all that than reaching up under the truck. What I'm thinking to try first is pulling tires to lower or jack it up enough to sit upright under it. Working position is a big factor for me. I know what works and what hurts

Quote:

I wasn't trying to be tough when I lowered the NP205 in a '71 K/20 onto myself then rolled over to ground, then do the 4spd the same way on gravel to replace the clutch. It was January, I had just bought a house Dec 29, had snow plowing contracts, and a siding business running to feed my family. I was just doing what I had to do using what I had and money wasn't one of them. In fact, I couldn't buy a clutch so I pulled the TH350/NP205 and required parts from my '71 Blazer and put that in. I borrowed a floor jack to install. I somehow didn't injure myself.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:03 AM   #18
jumpsoffrock

With a new house and commitments, you were in a tight spot in more ways than one. Necessity is the mother of invention.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:25 AM   #19
skinnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
As I am getting older, weaker, and hopefully wiser, I find myself looking for tips, tricks, and tools to make the job easier. The purpose of this thread is for a log of innovative, homemade or store-bought tools to save my back. To start I am looking for an easy way to put wheels on my truck. I struggle to lift a wheel/tire combo up 2" while lining up the lugs. I've used levers, pipes etc to get by. But, I think someone out there is smarter than me and has an easy way. Please post up anything you have for this problem as well as other helpful tools. If this is duplicating a prior thread please post a link. Thanks.
In these situations I end up placing my foot near the spot the tire needs to be lifted from and roll the tire up on my foot. That usually gives my the few inches I need to get it up on the lugs.
skinnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:04 AM   #20
RichardJ

Have any leaf springs laying around? I have a leaf out of a set that is about 18" long and has a nice curve on it. Slide one end of it under the first rib or two of the tire tread and push down on the other end.
Easy Peasy. They even have a hole in them to hang on the wall and is ready to use as a pry bar for anything else. I have two different lengths hanging on the wall that have been used for hundreds of different things.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2022, 11:11 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

The best tool for a bad back is a lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN View Post
I got this years ago, works great on all sizes of tire & wheel combos. It was real handy when I put the 19.5s on my K/30. The outside drive tire & wheels weigh 120 pounds each and the inside duals we're even heavier. I could lift the tire with one hand and easily turn it to match up lugs with the other hand. I don't use it often but I wouldn't be without, it's a back saver!
I want one. Never knew about these.
Quote:
With a new house and commitments, you were in a tight spot in more ways than one. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Yeah, that was my song. Freezing pipes added their own special flair. Or was that flare? Of all things, that was a record breaking winter for cold and snow also. I don't think I was barefoot, she wasn't pregnant, and my dog was just a healthy puppy

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 01:27 PM   #22
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
It took me a while but I finally found the post I was looking for. I originally posted this on 5 January 2008. These aren't tools to save your back - except for maybe the distributor wrench - and all the operations these tools perform I have done with other tools and/or means, but when you get the right tool there is no going back.

1. Distributor wrench says snap-on and came from a used tool store that no longer exists. The used price was $15. The online catalog price for new was $48.50 in 2008. Now I see it online for $81.25.
2. Brake bleeder wrench.
3. GM door handle/window crank spring clip remover.

Link to original post:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=272608
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:20 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
It took me a while but I finally found the post I was looking for. I originally posted this on 5 January 2008. These aren't tools to save your back - except for maybe the distributor wrench - and all the operations these tools perform I have done with other tools and/or means, but when you get the right tool there is no going back.

1. Distributor wrench says snap-on and came from a used tool store that no longer exists. The used price was $15. The online catalog price for new was $48.50 in 2008. Now I see it online for $81.25.
2. Brake bleeder wrench.
3. GM door handle/window crank spring clip remover.

Link to original post:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=272608
Yup, I have those, too! I have a manual valve spring tool that I bought to put valve stem seals on my '64 Malibu way back in the early '70s

Simi Valley, CA
Old 10-31-2022, 05:03 PM   #24
RichardJ

Over the counter tools are nice, but the OP was looking for home made tools as well.
I still use the old style beam torque wrench's, but mine is limited to 100 lb/ft.
A length of channel iron that effectively increases the "lever length" can increase the range of the torque wrench. In my case, I doubled the "lever length" and doubled the range to 200 lb/ft. It was easy to bolt a breaker bar to the channel iron and cut a square hole for the torque wrench. I just have to remember not to use that piece of channel iron for some other purpose.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2022, 05:17 PM   #25
RichardJ

I do have one store bought tool that I never use, but when I do, its worth ten times what I paid for it. The short arm on the left has fittings to latch into most door latches, but if you remove that arm you can roll the door in to be completely flush with the body.
One-man door installer with no fuss. HF hasn't sold it in years. Much of what they sell is junk, but this thing is golden.
Attached Images