The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2004, 09:27 PM   #1
Rod

How to prevent tire weathering?

I had four of my tires recently develop weathering cracking along the sidewall and within the tread pattern. The tires are a few years old but have about 90% tread. Now they wont pass a safety inspection around here.... 4 of the 6 tires on my one ton did this in the last 5 weeks. I parked the truck just after Christmas and now my tires are cracking. I suppose I could have taken them off and stored them, but I never had an extra 6 duallie rims with tires that held air.
Anyway Ive heard a few wives tales about how to prevent this from happening but figured I'd ask here also. I think warranty is not an option as I cant find a bill of sale for the tires... Firestone Steeltex ATX times 4 and 2 Steeltex R4S were on my duallie.

Mind you we had minus 55 degree temperatures recently with the wind chill... so I'm looking for ideas on weathering prevention from extreme hot to extreme cold.

In Canada where I am we have different problems than other warmer areas... my wifes car had the front main seal crack due to the cold also...seen it pop rear seals out of trannies too due to cold. So retirement may be in Arizona..LOL.
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:18 PM   #2
tom hand
CCRider

Re: How to prevent tire weathering?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod
So retirement may be in Arizona..LOL.
Then the sun will make them crack....but you will be warm. I don't know how you guys make it up there. Rubber will crack at those temps...I see no real cure but storage in a warm place. If I got up and the radio said it was -55...I would drop everything and head south...lol
Old 02-12-2004, 10:57 PM   #3
Huck

I would ask several dealers--both tire and new car dealers--about what tires to buy that wouldn't crack so quick.
I have a set of Cooper tires that were on a truck in the yard for 5 years and show no signs of cracking at all. I've also had some goodrich, goodyear, etc that show weather cracking within 2-3 years and we rarely get below 0 .
there may be somthing to the rubber compounds used as they are not the same on all brands and all variations within a brand. I used to work for Goodyear so I know a little about this.
Might also check with Tennman as he is a tire dealer.

Regarding seals and the cold--most of the folks I know from the northern world--Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. Use synthetic oils in their engine and in their transmission. I had a 97Ct corvette with a 6 speed and had some trans issues till a trans shop owner told me to try some Mobil 1 Dextron transmission fluid. WOW what a difference---. My .02====good luck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:01 AM   #4
68CST327

I'm running on some old Michelins. Been outside for probably 20+ years. They have all sorts of cracks on the sidewall and tread, but I still drive on them all the time. Am I sane? Asking for trouble perhaps?
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:24 AM   #5
Alex Hayley

I have never had to return a tire under warranty but could you not contact Firestone directly and see what they could do for you?
Alex Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote