The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
matapalo

Grinding brake calipers

Hi, I'm a new member from the San Francisco Bay Area. Can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site, the accumulated knowledge from all the members here is just incredible!

I just got an really great deal on a set of 15x10 inch black rock crawler wheels with 325/65 R15 BF Goodrich AT's for my '72 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban. After searching through the old posts here, I knew that I needed to grind down the front brake calipers to make the rims fit.

The calipers themselves needed only minimal grinding to clear the rims, but the caliper hold-down brackets needed a lot more grinding. After taking them down to about 1/8 inch thick, I just decided to cut part of the brackets completely off on the advice from a neighbor. The way he explained it, the part of the brackets I cut off serve more as guides for mounting the calipers, and don't play into the structural integrity of the brakes themselves. Made sense to me. I've included some photos of before and after I cut the mounting brackets down.

Before I take it down Devil's Slide on Hwy 1 at 50 mph with my girlfriend and 2 dogs I thought it would be smart to get some expert advice from you guys on the safety of what I did. Brakes are the last thing I'd want to compromise on the vehicle just because I got a deal on tires & wheels!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Images

Last edited by matapalo; 02-18-2004 at 10:58 PM.
matapalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 06:42 PM   #2
matapalo

pic 2
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
matapalo

pic 3
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
matapalo

By the way, I've got a second set of the same type of rims that I won't be needing. I was going to put them on a second truck but I've decided that I don't want to go through the brake grinding thing again. They're new in unopened boxes. 15x10, black powder coated with 8 lugs. I got them for $300, would sell for $200 if anyone is interested.

Best - Chris
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
matapalo

Close up
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Hi Chris, I may be intested in the rims. I work in San Rafael, live in Benicia. I have a 67 3/4 ton 4x4 burb, and I would love to check the fit of this rims. My rig is drum brakes. I am driving thru SF this satuday morning delivering two motorcycles that I just sold. If possible,would you let me take one rim to check fit. I can leave a deposit if you wish. If they fit, I will buy them...
Old 02-20-2004, 05:23 PM   #7
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

by the way, you got those from craigslist??
Old 02-20-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
cableguy0

those pieces your removed do a lot more than act as guides. they stop the caliper from moving back and forth when you step on the brakes. what you did just caused all the stress to be on the bolts. very bad idea your going to have lots of weird brake problems not to mention the caliper possibly breaking off from the stress on the bolts
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:35 PM   #9
matapalo

Thanks for the advice Cableguy0. I did save the pieces that were cut off. Do you think it would be strong enough if I welded the pieces back on to the brackets a bit lower to allow clearence for the rims?
Old 02-20-2004, 08:03 PM   #10
cableguy0

no probably not because number one they are cast iron very hard to weld without a spray welder and even still i wouldnt trust it. i would go get new spindles and calipers and find a set of wheels that actually fit. brakes arent anything to mess its all fun till ya cant stop
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:55 PM   #11
cdowns

do yourself a favor and do EXACTLY as cableguy suggests
AN EXPENSIVE LESSON
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:14 PM   #12
cableguy0

and one more thing i forgot to say and thought i should add it. dont ever ever ever under any circumstances listen to your neighbor again and while ur at it smack him for trying to get you killed
Old 02-20-2004, 10:25 PM   #13
matapalo

Livin' & learnin'. The world is full of know it all's and I just gotta learn not to trust every damn one of em'.

Fortunately this shouldn't hurt TOO bad because of the deal I got on the tires & wheels.....speaking of which..anyone need a new set of tires & wheels...cheap?

Thanks again for the advise, glad I turned here.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:09 PM   #14
matapalo

I've come up with a possible solution to my problem and wanted to get some input/advice on it. I've already replaced the backing plates/mounting brackets and calipers that I ground down and cut up with new ones. When I talked to the guy who origionally sold me the 15" rims he mentioned that 15" rims with 2 or 2.5" of backspacing would bolt right on without hitting any brake parts. The 15" rims I have now have 4.25" backspacing. If I went with the 2.5" backspaced rims I could use the tires I already have, which would be a big bonus to me. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to running rims with such a small backspacing. I know that they will make the tires stick out of the wheel wells a couple inches farther. Does anyone have a pic of their truck that small a backspace?

Thanks - Chris
Old 02-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #15
Hotrod70C10
Low & Slow

I wouldn't see a problem with it. Your wheels are going to stick out past the fender quite a bit but, It is a 4x4 burb so I think it would look ok. You will put more stress on your suspension though. Just think of it as using a cheater pipe on the end of a breaker bar. That's my know it all input of the day! P.S. (I really don't know that much) lol