The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
Lynx

Question Speaking of chokes!

On my 83 how can I adjust my electric choke so that it doesnt close as much. When I first start my truck after its been sitting the choke completly blocks off air supply, how can I fix this.

The neighbours dont like me reving up the engine to keep it running at 6am....

1983 Silverado SWB 305
2002 Silverado Extended Cab 5.3
http://members.shaw.ca/bkennett
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
PHOENIX

Do you have a q-jet?
If so there is a screw under the electric choke to adjust the choke idle speed.
The screws faces the front of the truck like the idle speed screws on the drivers side.
Its a little hidden under the choke, you may need to look at it from the passenger side or straight from the front with the air cleaner off.

Go out when its cold, pump the gas twice, pop the hood and start it up.
If the choke idle speed is so low that it will not idle on its own.
Then turn the choke idle speed screw a turn and try starting it again.
I do not recall if clockwise makes the choke speed slower or faster.
Once you can get the truck to idle on its own you can set the choke idle speed to whatever you want.
With the truck in gear 900-1000 rpm isnt bad, you could even go a little higher if your truck needs it.
Some set their choke idle as high as 1500 rpm.
While setting the choke idle speed do not change the regular idle speed.
Take the truck for a long drive and let it fully warmed up.
If you are not happy with your idle speed now, then adjust the regular idle speed screw. You may have to adjust your choke speed one more time the next morning depending on how much you had to change your regular idle speed.

There is also a screw above the electric choke that faces the top of the windshield (this may only be on the Edelbrock Qjets). I am not sure what this one does, but I adjusted a little bit one time and it seemed to smooth out the idle a bit.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 11-11-2004 at 12:28 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:18 AM   #3
86-C10-V6
Shadetree Mechanic

Too much choke?

If I understand the problem, your choke is closing off the air supply to much and causing the engine to choke off with too rich a fuel mixture. You are holding the RPMs up with the gas pedel to prevent it from choking off.
If this is the case you need to adjust the amount of spring tension on the choke and that is done by rotating the choke assembly cover.
If you look at the choke cover where the electric wire plugs into the choke you should see three retainers around the edge of the black plastic cover that holds the thermal spring against the mechanical linkage.
If these are retainers are screws you can just loosen the screws slightly and rotate the plastic cover to either increase or decrease the rotation of the air valve. I believe rotating the cover clockwise will decrease the choke, counterclockwise will increase the choke.
If you do this when the choke is cold, you should be able to see the air valve rotate.
There are index marks on the edge of the choke housing and an alignment mark on the plastic cover. This will give you a relative indication of how much you have adjusted the thermal response of the choke.
If the choke cover is held on with rivets, which is the way it comes from the factory, you will need to drill out the rivets and replace them with screws, these are usually included in most rebuild kits.
As the choke gets older, the spring usually becomes weaker and therefore you get too little choke, if you have too much choke, it has probably been adjusted by someone at some time so I suspect the choke has screws holding the choke cover in place.
Hope this makes since and helps.

P.S. After you have this adjusted, you can follow the RPM adjustment described by Phonex in the previous post. My engine specs call for 2200 RPMs with the choke fully engaged.
98 K1500 Xcab, 5.7L, 3.43 Gov-Lok
86-C10-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:23 PM   #4
Lynx

Thanks for the info ill try it tommorow morning!
Old 11-14-2004, 09:34 PM   #5
Lynx

Thanks Dave and Eddie it worked! Ive just gotta adjust it a little more and adust my fast idle a little more and I will be good to go!