The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
cali_surfer

Charging/Alternator

I need some help here guys, I'm frustrated. A couple weeks ago I blew the alternator on my truck and the red top optima battery I have discharged quite a bit, low 11/upper 10 volt range. Battery tested fine at AutoZone, so I charged the battery, put on a new alternator and thought all was well. Battery never fully charged once on the truck however....... I thought that was odd. Drove it tonite and I blew the alternator again. Reason I could tell is that there was a strong electric smell all of the sudden. Put my volt meter on the battery while running and sure enough no charging from the alternator, registered 12.00-.05 when it should be in the 13 range. Is this just a case of bad alternators or can something else cause this to happen? These are life-time warranty rebuilds from Kragen. This is starting to piss me off.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:10 AM   #2
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

The thing I remember about my time in California was going to Kragen and buying a solenoid for my starter. Putting it on the car and having it not work. I didn't have much luck with the quality of their stuff. Are you still running an external voltage regulator or are you using an internal? It could be a problem with the regulator but I doubt that if it is an internal regulator.
Did you ever get the Old Air unit installed? Some folks were looking for the pictures of the install I had in the FAQ but the site no longer exist so the picture disappeared. I didn't save them on my computer. Hope all goes well with the next rebuilt alternator.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
cali_surfer

I'm running the internal regulator style. I'm putting my money on the fact that they are selling $hit alternators, hopefully I can get my money back and go elsewhere.

I did get the Old Air system installed and running months ago. Works good. Hot heater and cold A/C. It helped me to put an electric fan on the condensor to lower the a/c temp even more, gotta get rid of the heat with 134a refridgerant. I don't have any pictures of the install.... no digital camera. Everything is pretty straight forward if you just follow the instructions.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
Hooter
My other Love

you are running the internally regulated alt but did you bypass the external regulator?

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:12 PM   #5
cali_surfer

Does not have an external regulator....... I'm running a painless wiring harness. Just went down this evening and got a new alternator from Napa, will test drive tomorrow and see if everything works out.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:31 PM   #6
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

If the battery was that discharged, there is no way they could have tested it properly.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:49 PM   #7
cali_surfer

I feel dumb, I meant to say I charged the battery and then had it tested.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:19 AM   #8
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

Ah, ok!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:18 PM   #9
cali_surfer

Ok, I'm depressed now. I put on a new Napa alternator and managed to exchange my optima battery for a new one. Bolt everything back up, took her for a road test, put on a full load, turned the headlights on, radio on, and then turned the heater fan, sure enough it fried the diodes again on the alternator. That happened the other night, after I flipped the fan on it did it. What is my problem??? Another thing I noticed, my tach flutters when I first start up the truck..... what causes that?