The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2004, 01:31 AM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

Thorley headers

Hi everybody;
What is your experience/opinion about thorley headers? I even don't know how much they cost but I read something somewhere that they are very good headers. Do you prefer them to hookers? Based on what I read on different threads, looks like to me the hookers fit well in our trucks. The only concern I have with hooker headers is, I've been told that I can only use long tube hooker competion series (I have 70's 350 engine) and I don't like the fact long tube one hanging low under the truck. Also, Hookers competion series, at least on the picture, doesn't look as tough as some other headers. I know this is too subjective opinion though. Anyways, I'll appreciate your inputs. Thanks, Nima.
P.S. Is 14 gauge steel thicker than 16 and 16 thicker than 18 and etc, or vice versa (excuse my spelling if it is wrong!)
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:40 AM   #2
68LSS1

Having never personally owned a set of Thorley headers I can't say but I've always heard good about them. If you can go with something other than Hookers I'd do it. Not to impressed with their quality these days. Had to weld up a friends less than year old LS1 LT's as they were cracking around the head flange and primary tubes. And yes, 14 is thicker than 16 and 16 thicker than 18, etc.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
StingRay

I had a set if tri y's way back about 20 years ago and they were very well made. They were 14 ga and tough as nails. I whacked em on the pavement more than a few times and it hardly even scratched em.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:43 PM   #4
junkyardjohn

I'VE USED DOUG THORLEY HEADERS & IMO THEY ARE GREAT HEADERS. ALL I EVER USE ARE DOUG THORLY OR HOOKER SUPER COMPETITION HEADERS. CHEAP HEADERS ARE A WASTE OF MONEY & A SURE SOURCE OF FUTURE AGGREVATION. EXHAUST SYSTEMS, BRAKES & ELECTRICAL GREMLINS ARE THE WORST TYPE OF PROBLEMS FOR ME , & IF ICAN SPEND A FEW EXTRA BUCKS TO DO AWAY WITH ONE OF THEM, I CONSIDER IT MONEY WELL SPENT. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
GMan69

I chose Thorley tri-y's for my truck. Heavier guage tubes should outlast most other brands and thicker flanges won't warp. However, one tube on driver side is about 1/4" from the back edge of the lower A- arm where the grease fitting is. Also, kind of close to the starter on passenger side. I'll post pics when I can find them.
'72 GMC swb Stepside
GMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote