The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2004, 12:24 AM   #1
nevada70chev

Drum Brake...Help

hello all with drum brakes....i need to replace all 4 corners, shoes/drums/wheel cylinders/springs etc. what would i expect to pay for all the parts? is this a major feat for someone who's never done drum brakes? thanks. i was quoted about $650.00 to have it done. it not in the budget.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
nevada70chev

additional ??'s

what is the difference between the finned drum and nonfinned? is one better than the other? if so, how? thanks again.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:34 AM   #3
steve75104
Another 69-20 years later

Brakes, drums, springs, and wheel cylinders just ran me around $150 for parts today. This did not include my wheel bearings, seals, etc. and was front only. Rear brakes are tomorrow.
steve75104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
3 on the tree

The finned drums are supposed to dissipate heat quicker. I used to have a 1/2 ton 70 burb, and it had bigger brakes all around than a pickup, maybe you could upgrade without spending much more. Just do one brake at a time, so you have a reference point in case you forget how to put it back together. Invest the money in the proper tools( brake pliers, spring removal tool) I almost lost an eye trying to put a spring back on with regular pliers, they slipped and slammed me hard right in the eye!. Take your time and have fun with the learning curve.
3 on the tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 02:12 AM   #5
nevada70chev

i don't think mine are currently finned. there is definitely a big difference in cost between the finned and unfinned. just wanted to know the diff and if there is a performance diff. thanks. i'm trying to stay on a budget, but do a quality job.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
pierce

There's a hand tool to help get the springs on to make the job easier. My bro-in-law let me use his but it didn't look like it cost alot $$$.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:22 PM   #7
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada70chev
hello all with drum brakes....i need to replace all 4 corners, shoes/drums/wheel cylinders/springs etc. what would i expect to pay for all the parts? is this a major feat for someone who's never done drum brakes? thanks. i was quoted about $650.00 to have it done. it not in the budget.
JON ... IT'S NOT TUFF AT ALL. I'VE TALKED WITH YOU ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT YOU HAVE THE REQUIRED AMOUNT OF COMMON SENCE TO FIGURE IT OUT. JUST TAKE ONE SIDE APART AT A TIME, & USE THE OPPOSITE SIDE AS AN EXAMPLE. THE ONLY SPECIAL TOOLS I USE IS THE TOOL TO REMOVE THE KEEPERS FROM THE NAILS. A SMALL PAIR OF NEEDLE NOSE VISE GRIPS WORK WONDERS FOR REMOVING & INSTALLING THE BIG SPRINGS (I'VE GOT THE BRAKE SPRING REMOVAL TOOL IN MY BOX, BUT I LIKE TO USE VICE GRIPS INSTEAD. IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH IT.. GIVE ME A CALL. OR IF IT'LL WAIT FOR SOME DECENT WEATHER (WE'LL HAVE TO DO IT OUTSIDE) BRING IT DOWN & WE'LL THROW SOME NEW BINDERS ON IT. JOHN
(IT MIGHT BE A GOOD TIME TO UPGRADE TO 73-87 2 1/2" REAR BRAKES.)
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 12-30-2004 at 12:27 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote