The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
RED67
Forever Grateful

painless wiring.....

so how painless is it..........has anyone ever done one of these to their vehicles??? if so is it pretty self explanatory.....reason for is that I have got wires everywhere and some are cut and some are not and it really bothers me.....I would like to prevent any fires if possible.... :roll: :roll: I have a 67 swb
Old 01-19-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I put in one. It was pretty easy. I had a little problem wiring it up so the front side markers would blink with the turn signals. It is prewired for non a/c trucks. If you have a/c you have to re-use your old a/c harness. It does come with new headlight, light switch, wiper, ign and heater connectors. You have to re-use almost everything else. I bought new side marker light conectors and re-used the tail lamps. I liked it ok. There was one problem. The bulkhead connector template in the instructions does not match up exactly with the connector. There was some extra cutting, trimming and fitting that had to take place. I think the board list some better manufacturers though. Just run a "painless" search. It will come up.

In hindsight, I probably really did not need a new harness. My main reason for wanting one was the old bulkhead connector looked like it had been arcing. I kept my old harness for referance and pet projects. After really looking at it the bulkhead connector was just covered in some kind black goop. The fuse connectors were tight in the block and nothing was melted. The onlything I really need to replace was the temp sending wire and I needed to get rid of the resistor wire. I could have taken my old harness out went over it and put it back in good as new.
If you have the time for a complete re-wire you have time to remove and inspect your harness before ordering your new one. It might save you some money.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
GreyHoundSteve

I have most of my painless harness installed at it was easy. The intructions are clear and everything goes where you think it would. I still have a few of the smaller connections to make but all in all i'd say for the price i have been pleased with the harness.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
Ptown72Chevy

my friend did his 70 GMC. he said it was easy. i'm going to do mine when i have a little more $$$$$
Ptown72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
dropdprpls10

so is it as easy as calling painless and telling them you have a 67 gmc with a 350 motor and they send it to you or is there other information you need to tell them???
dropdprpls10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Blue68

Red,
I went through this question phase last year and decided that the wires weren't so bad, or at least not enough were so bad, that they couldn't be replaced as needed versus the cost. Some of mine were down right hazardous, mainly the charging circuit. I went to Napa and got several rolls of automotive wire and spent a couple of days working it over. So far, it's been great. In the process, I added fusible links, relays, and junction blocks to bring it all a little more modern. The real reason I should have gone with a new harness would be to get a fuse block that doesn't have rusted terminals. That causes me more problems than any other electrical items. Rust is a fair insulator on fuse clips.

What part of Dallas are you in?

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
RED67
Forever Grateful

I'm in the mesquite area......
Old 01-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #8
GreyHoundSteve

I got my painless harness from O'reileys but they also sell them at Autozone.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #9
67chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED67
so how painless is it..........has anyone ever done one of these to their vehicles??? if so is it pretty self explanatory.....reason for is that I have got wires everywhere and some are cut and some are not and it really bothers me.....I would like to prevent any fires if possible.... :roll: :roll: I have a 67 swb
The PO of the truck I recently bought did a horrible job wiring the truck and I had a nice fire under my hood. I'd love to rewir the whole this well but I dont got the money do do anything to it. I cleaned it up as much as i could but a new wiring harness would be a godsend.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

If you are kinda handy with electrics, you could go recreational junkyarding and get a used cab and engine harness. Go through it then as your time permits.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #11
rin68

i'll be finishing a painless harness install on the 68 this weekend. there's not a better harness out there, especially if you've added/planning to add extra stuff. it's been very adaptable to the upgrades i've made. if the truck is more stock-type M&H and some others might be the better choice.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:17 PM   #12
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

if you just get the "engine harness" - does it just plug into the firewall and the rest plugs into where it has to go or do you have to cut and splice everything? - cause if you have to do that it isn't worth it
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #13
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I've installed three of these kits so far, one in my Model A, one in the stepside and one in a buddy's truck. I'd do it again. Once installed (if you take your time) this kit is very clean and the under-dash wiring all plugs in the same as the original. The engine wiring and all lights come with crimp connectors.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:12 AM   #14
RED67
Forever Grateful

is the diagram-instructions pretty self explanatory....this will be my first go around with electrical stuff........
Old 01-21-2005, 11:15 AM   #15
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing
if you just get the "engine harness" - does it just plug into the firewall and the rest plugs into where it has to go or do you have to cut and splice everything? - cause if you have to do that it isn't worth it

Yes it just plugs in. There is a single bolt in the middle. After you remove the bolt you have to do a little prying. There is a gaket between the two and it is a little stiff to remove. It has been together 30 years. You can experiment removing it at the wrecking yard.

I still have my old one. I could shoot you a pic of the bulkhead connector disconnected if you like.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #16
biglou55

Talking

can we call painless. I was under the impression we had to go through a dealer. ( autozone- napa ) does somebody have a number for them. this would be great,
Old 01-21-2005, 09:10 PM   #17
BubbaGreen

I have used painless stuff for my truck, as well as for installing fuel injection in trucks that never had it.....the wire they supply is TXL, it is an extremely high quality wire, plus, its both color coded and labeled. It should be rather easy for the novice to install. You may have to use some of your old connector housings though. I have been more than pleased with painless products. If you get into a bind, they do have tech support (which I have used before) and can be quite helpful.