The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2005, 05:44 AM   #1
67cst
i love summertime

URGENT! need quick help-broke chit on the truck tonight

hey guys, tonight sucked, i was with a buddy heading to another buddys bday dinner, we were sitting at red lights and it went green, i punched it pretty good but nothing too intense, got half way though the intersection, heard 2 loud bangs, looked back and my driveshaft was on the highway, jumped out and grabbed it and though oh big deal a universal went, so i threw it in 4x4 and me and the guy i was with took it to his shop, i put some new universals in and went underneath and noticed my pack of overload leafs were gone and my regular leafs were screwed, the axel was all cock eyed, i broke my bottom to leafs right in half where that pin lines up with the hole, i went back on the highway after i knew i was missing leafs and couldnt find them, man im pissed off though. what i want to know is are the 2wd leafs the same as 4wd. there are a couple 2wds at the wreckers with leafs, one even has the overload pack of leafs and ill go get them tomorrow if i know they will bolt up, right now the truck is still at my buddies shop waiting for a new leaf...enough yapping though, if someone knows if the leafs are the same let me know pls...here is a pic of whats left of the front and rear universals from the rear driveshaft
Attached Images

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:08 AM   #2
green68c10
Ditto Head

That sucks.Reminds me of a time about 7 years ago I had a 79 shovelhead,(those old bikes are notorious for their vibration,you have to tighten everything up every 500 miles)I was jamming down the highway when my front exhaust blew off.I pulled over as soon as I could because now I had an open jug and didn't want to f*** up my scooter.By the time I got off the road I was at least 50 feet from the exhaust pipe,which was laying in the middle of the highway.I grabed a rag out of my tool pouch,(I knew the the pipe was hot)running down the middle of the road trying to make myself seen so the on coming traffic would not run over my pipe.I did get to it before anyone ran it over.By the time I got back to my bike a guy pulled over to ask me if I needed help,he said he would go get some tools to help if I wanted.He said he had been there before.I told him I have all the tools in my bag that I would need.That has never happened when I was in a car or truck.Harley folks are the best.
green68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
69 Short Fleet

Shoot, sorry to here this Derek! I'm not sure about the leaf interchange differences (can't find my catalogs). Maybe try check the LMC catalog and see if the part #'s match. I'm pretty sure the bushings are different sizes, I think they made 2 sizes (67, 68 and 69 to 72) Maybe an expert will post something. Is your truck a K20 or ? If you need help let me know where your buddies shop is and I'll drop over and give you a hand. Regards Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
67cst
i love summertime

thanks doug-ill let ya know if i need some extra hands...i wish all the spring places in town were open today because i want to call around and get prices and 4 new 4" lift springs, i plan on lifting the truck anyways so maybe now is a good time, imstead of getting new stock stuff then just pulling it out in a few months...

green68c10- bummer that happened, at least someone stopped, my f'in driveshaft was laying on the main highway going though town and no one would even slow down so i could grab it, i had to wait for the light to change and run out there...

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote