The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
JonnyTechMech
STOP! Hamma time!!!

Welcome Dave420,

I'm new also. I'd take the sweet RED.

1) I would check for dry rotted gaskets and seals on the engine, and windows, etc. (You’ll have to look closely at these components to see if there’s been any recent work.)
2) Stand outside the truck and try to start it without applying any gas (TBI’s should start the engine with no effort, if the engine is tuned up well.
3) Listen for missing or hesitation in the engine idle and check for any thick blue smoke as it idles. (Verification of bad piston rings).
4) Stand outside and gun the throttle on the engine to see if the engine jumps on one side (Checking for bad motor mounts).
5) If there AC, verify if it get cold when turned on. Check the heat as well
6) Look closely at the upper and lower ball joints and tie rods for ware, dry rot, or cracked seals on both sides.
7) Look the differential seal to see if there’s a new gasket. If not, verify if there’s any leaks at the bottom
8) Run your fingers gently and slowly under the door wells. (Check for rust or rot in a place where rust could exist and but not commonly seen in everyday use.
9) Make sure all electrical options work of course
10) Look in the radiator and look for any tattle-tail signs of corrosion.
11) Listen for exhaust leaks (sound like ticking in concert with the idle)
12) Listen for engine knocks when giving it gas (checking for any bad engine bearings)
13) Check fluids, (tyranny should be clear red, oil should be clear not black, brake should be clear not too cloudy, power steering should be clear, and does it have coolant/antifreeze)
14) Check how easy or not easy the door, tailgate, hood close (looking for any miss alignments)

My 2 cent x 14

JonnyTM
JonnyTechMech is offline   Reply With Quote