The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
muddpile

Highlander Questions

I recently found out my 72 is in fact a highlander (plaid seat and all). I want to learn a bit more about these trucks and restore mine to its original 70's glory. Does anyone re-make the white door panels and plaid seat covers? Also, how many of these trucks were built? Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
saulgoode

Here is some info from a post i started, it may get you started in the right direction, what color are your inserts?
saulgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:54 PM   #3
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I really like the 1972 Highlander packaged trucks. I had a chance to buy an original big block one right before leaving Memphis. The white panels are actually Parchment colored (just off white or cream colored). I have a set of door panels from one in a junk yard, but this color tends to become chalky with age and sun. You will need door panels, seat belts, dash pad. The plaid ceat came in several colors (orange, green, blue, etc), but are not reproduced, either are the parchment interior panels. You can find the panels used on the board, and maybe get an upholstry shop to find material to come close.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:57 PM   #4
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Good link saulgoode, how did I miss that one?
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
muddpile

Hmm. sounds like this is going to be harder resto than I thought. My truck has a yellow plaid insert in it. I assume at one point it may have been orange (orange truck, orange plaid makes sense) but its bright yellow now. The white sunvisors are absolutely perfect, the white door panels are cracked and discolored, the arm rests are down to the bare foam, the black dash pad is badly cracked, and the black carpet has obviously been tossed as there is grey indoor/outdoor turf in there now. I thought I read that I could get white door panels and arm rests in one of my parts books from LMC or Scott's or something, but I could be mistaken.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
saulgoode

Why would it be harder than you thought, everything you need to replace is being reproduced. If you are doing a restoration all that stuff would have to be replaced anyway. The only thing that may give you problems are the seat covers. You would have to buy regular seat cover and then buy the fabric seperate and have someone sew it in. Lets see some pics of the yellow seat in there now, I can't say that I've ever seen a yellow one.

Saulgoode
Old 02-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
Shy-n

the "yellow" seat is actually the orange seat, they fade with age, I had one like that a few years back.
Shy-n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:36 AM   #8
muddpile

I looked through a couple catalogs today and managed to find white parts. Now I just have to find the plaid and I'm set!
Old 02-22-2005, 02:39 AM   #9
saulgoode

look in the hyper link i posted, there is a company discussed with contact info that still carries that fabric, i think they will send you a free sample of the color you want too. check them out.

Saulgoode
Old 02-22-2005, 03:06 AM   #10
longhorn71

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpile
Hmm. sounds like this is going to be harder resto than I thought. My truck has a yellow plaid insert in it. I assume at one point it may have been orange (orange truck, orange plaid makes sense) but its bright yellow now. The white sunvisors are absolutely perfect, the white door panels are cracked and discolored, the arm rests are down to the bare foam, the black dash pad is badly cracked, and the black carpet has obviously been tossed as there is grey indoor/outdoor turf in there now. I thought I read that I could get white door panels and arm rests in one of my parts books from LMC or Scott's or something, but I could be mistaken.
Scotts have them and the hounds tooth seat covers but not sure on colors.They also carry the armrests
longhorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:22 AM   #11
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

Do you have a link to Scott's? I have checked everywhere I can think of and not been able to find the Highlander seat cover. Every where I asked I was told they are not reproduced...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote