The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2002, 04:43 PM   #1
72chevyLWB
Got 20's????

Back to 2 piece driveshaft

I had nothing but problems with my 1pc. I originally paid $20 for it. It was fine last year, but this year I had it shortened for the 700R4. That cost me $80 with a new yoke. Then it started vibrating a little. All of a sudden my spring perches snap and send the driveshaft into a crossmember and bend the hell out of it. So $20 and I had a guy weld on a new end ( he said it would be fine) the I get it back from him as he said it is perfectly straight. I get it on the truck and it wobbles like a mo-fo. So I take it off and have another place weld in a new pipe. $60later and I have two driveshaft ends and a 1/4" thick 2.5" steel pipe connecting them. The thing weighed 50lbs. So I put that on and still had a vibration. Well the vibration ended up loosening the pinion nut and stuck the pinion into the carrier ( guess what sound that makes). So I had to trailer the truck home and fix the rear end. I put the shaft back on and it still had vibration, so in the garbage it goes. I went to a junk yard and got a 2 piece from an 86 chevy. I had to get the front lengthened 4" to put it on. I ran it up to 100 mph (with no rear shaft) and there is no vibration at all in it. The place was supposed to have the rear done on Friday (lengthen 8") but they never got it done and here I sit bored out of my mind.
72chevyLWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

On your 2 pc shaft, you will need to have both pcs assembled,& balanced as an assy. im sure I have missed some of the posts on d shaft issues(just got back on the board),but after balancing, if a vibe still is there,you may check driveline angles(if you havent already). you will want the front shaft pretty much straight with the trans(zero angle on the u joint). then the sum of the 2 angles(pinion,& front d shaft) should equal a straight line. If the rear of the trans is angled say 4 degrees down,the pinion should be angled 4 degrees up. Another thing I have seen, is that if a shaft is balanced properly,& still shakes......sometimes you can take it loose at the rear diff,& rotate 180 then bolt it back up to take care of the problem. good luck......Al
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 05:58 PM   #3
72chevyLWB
Got 20's????

The front part is coming out straight of the trans with no angle. I have a flip kit in back with 4 degree shims to get the pinion anled upward more too. I might order 6 degree though
72chevyLWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 07:40 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I picked up a cheap magnetic base angle finder at Lowes,to help sort out the angles on the longhorn. good luck.....Al
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote