The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2002, 10:35 PM   #1
tommie
97' Tahoe 2dr/2wd

6 lug drum to 5 lug disc?? options?

hello,

i am planning on swapping the front 6 lug drums out for 5 lug disc on my truck, its a 70'swb.

what diferent options do i have?
please speak from experience only.

i have heard that a 73-87 front suspension and front brace will bolt up after elongating some holes,

any other options?

i also plan on lowering the truck, and would probally be buying
drop spindles, and coil springs,

also what options do i have on the rear?

thanks in advance for all replies.

tommie
70'chev swb
Attached Images

tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 11:05 PM   #2
Low69CST

If your front ball joints and tie rods are good, I think your best bet is to go with 67-70 disc brake spindles from Early Classic Enterprises. Also get their flex lines that ill connect your 70 brake lines to the calipers. Once you have these pieces y ou can find some used rotors and calipers ( off a 72 or 71 truck ) to use as cores for new ones or if you luck up you can find some good ones you can transfer over to yours. Then you will have to get a disc brake master cylinder and proportion valve for a 72 or 71. This will bolt right up in place of your old one.

On the rear of your truck, I would take your axles and drums to a rear end shop and have a 5 lug pattern drilled on.

The spindles i meantioned above can either be lowered or stock height. Since your going to buy spindles to lower your truck anyway, I think you would elimate spending alot more money by getting ones that work with your current hardware. Plus changing cross members involves much more work. Another draw back is keeping track of which parts on your truck are what year. A few years after your truck is done and you have to replace parts it'll be easier to get replacements if you keep it all the same year.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 11:31 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

And since you already have rims on there, it'd be cheaper to get 6 lug rotors frm GMC Paul than to go 5 lug and get new wheels.
I'm not speaking from experience though.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote