The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2005, 03:06 AM   #1
slamd58
<- Determination Pays Off

Seat Belt and Door Lock Questions

Hey guys, need your help. The new 72 I picked up last weekend has a hole and nut (that is pop riveted on top and bottom) for a shoulder harness. My top is a double wall. Was this factory? or did someone add it? I am somewhat concerned that the fiberglass top wouldn't give much support in a wreck. Your thoughts?

Second, the door locks won't stay locked when I close the door. I lock the door, close it, then the damn lock comes back up. Even when I use the key to lock it, when I push the outside door handle, the door unlocks. I know I am missing something easy here but I can't figure it out.......

BTW.... I didn't get the yellow Blazer in L.A. last weekend, I ended up with another one....the yellow one was very...very....rough... the owner was cool enough to give me my money back and we parted friends... Then I hit the net and found another one.... I will post pics soon... It is in great shape, NO RUST that I can find... ne: . It might be hidden, but I haven't found it yet....trust me, i've tried!
slamd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
JBstor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamd58
Hey guys, need your help. The new 72 I picked up last weekend has a hole and nut (that is pop riveted on top and bottom) for a shoulder harness. My top is a double wall. Was this factory? or did someone add it? I am somewhat concerned that the fiberglass top wouldn't give much support in a wreck. Your thoughts?

Second, the door locks won't stay locked when I close the door. I lock the door, close it, then the damn lock comes back up. Even when I use the key to lock it, when I push the outside door handle, the door unlocks. I know I am missing something easy here but I can't figure it out.......

BTW.... I didn't get the yellow Blazer in L.A. last weekend, I ended up with another one....the yellow one was very...very....rough... the owner was cool enough to give me my money back and we parted friends... Then I hit the net and found another one.... I will post pics soon... It is in great shape, NO RUST that I can find... ne: . It might be hidden, but I haven't found it yet....trust me, i've tried!
Hey Slam!

The holes are factory, I have seen them in quite a few Blazers, including mine.

The door lock thing, ya got me there. They should stay locked, there has to be someting going on in those doors, mebbe someone did something to them.

Get those pics up soon!

JB
JBstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
pound41

The bolts are factory for factory belts that were a rare option.(only seen one). The door lock is only locked from the outside with a key. No holding in the buttom and shutting the door like on GM cars
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:53 AM   #4
vtblazer

First off, get those pics up! We wanna see it.

I remember a thread awhile back stating something about what's happening to you with your locks, can't remember how it was resolved though. Try doing a search.

Just to clarify, a properly working lock needs to be locked with a key after closing the door and should 'be' locked until opened again with a key.
If yours is opening with the button, something's messed up.
You knew that though
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
smbrouss70

I had a similar locking problem on my truck door. What I figured out was happening was that it was getting a little rusty inside the door and I wasn't able to turn the key enough to fully engage the lock mechanism in the latch. If you take your door panel off and use the door lock knob on the inside you will see that there is a lever that pivots on the door latch, one end connects to the rod for the door lock button inside, and the other side goes over to the keyhole on the door skin. I just lubed up the pivot on that lever with some PB Blaster and worked it a few times, and now it operates like it is brand new.

Of course there could be a bigger problem like something being bent out of alignment inside of there, but you can start with my little fix and see if that was it.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #6
Smokie55

I know it sounds like a good idea to spray penetrating lube in a lock, but it will haunt you down the road. That oil will attrack dirt and debris that will cause the lock to gunk up and crust on the inside. it is best to use a graphite spray or silcon spray. I always try and use graphite. just trying to help you guys out.
1972 K5 blazer "Rusty" - 400/TH350/NP205 - Yeah it's big alright!!
- Founding Member of Southern Bowties Club -
Smokie55 is offline   Reply With Quote