The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2005, 05:44 AM   #1
phanatic32212
It's Done When It Runs!!

I need help!!

When replacing my pass. side fender, I broke one of the backing nuts. I'll try to explain. Where the fender bolts to the cab, top of the fender, rear-most bolt. The nut is on the inside of the cab and it is stuck on the bolt. I need some advice on how to get this bolt out without tearing anything up? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jake
Old 03-11-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

If I understand the problem, the 3/8-16 weld nut broke loose on the cab and the bolt is stuck in it. The broken nut is in the pillar and is not accessible. Based on this assumption, this is what I would do. Cut the bolt off. The broken piece will fall inside and remain there.

Using a 1 1/4" hole saw, cut the hole out. The round piece will stay with the hole saw. Clean the piece up and weld a nut to the inside aligning it to the hole, (I use 3/8-16 square nuts but a regular nut will work) bolting it in place.

Weld the nut to the disc and remove the bolt being careful not to weld the nut to the bolt. Position the welded assembly in the 1 1/4" hole and hold it in position with a welders magnet. Tack weld the disc in place, remove the magnet and finish welding the disc in place. When finished grind the welds and repaint.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKshortstep4x4

Weld the nut to the disc and remove the bolt being careful not to weld the nut to the bolt. Position the welded assembly in the 1 1/4" hole and hold it in position with a welders magnet. Tack weld the disc in place, remove the magnet and finish welding the disc in place. When finished grind the welds and repaint.

Jim
Then try to get some paint (corrosion protection) on the INSIDE and OUTSIDE of that good idea.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
phanatic32212
It's Done When It Runs!!

That is what the problem is, and thats what I thought would be the best idea. But, I don't have access to a welder. Any other thoughts that I could do without a welder? If worse comes to worse, I guess I could just leave that bolt out? There are 2 right there at the same point. Thanks again

Jake
Old 03-11-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

I would not leave the bolt out. Your fender would be very likely to move around as the frame flexes. The fender mounting needs to be strong and I cannot think of any other way to get the strength without welding.

Maybe you can get someone to do the welding for you.

Good luck,

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote