The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2005, 12:18 AM   #1
dave3156

Which Muncie Transmission?

I'm looking at different 4 speed manual transmissions to use with a 402. I have noticed that there are close ratio and wide ratio Muncie transmissions. What does this mean and how different are they to drive? Thanks.
dave3156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:03 AM   #2
hobby67stepside

I think the wide ratio has a lower 1st gear and of course wider gaps between the rest. The M-20 (which I'm using) is a wide ratio, I believe. There is a good Muncie web site. Just do a search and you'll find it. All kinds of good info there.
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

You can look here. http://www.gearzone.net/muncie2.htm The 2.20:1 is the close ratio muncie. I would strongly recommend the close ratio muncie if you've got the torque needed to get your truck going. The intergear ratios are great. Just a good way of saying RPM level is pretty consistant with peak power level shift points. The challenge is to find your peak and design to just go past the peak when you shift. If you do it right it will be a beautiful thing. Think of it like cresting a hill. You want to just start down the other side(power dropping off) when you shift. You should be able to draw a straight line from the HP on one side of the hill to were your new gear will start pulling on the up slope. This is where the rear gearing is important. Use rear gears that put you at the right rpm to make this all work and use a transmission gear box that doesn't have widely different intergear ratios. It sure is a better thing to have one shift point than to have three different ones. Here is one last really cool thing. RPM calculator. http://www.5speeds.com/rpm.htm
Download and have fun playing.

Last edited by ddsmith; 03-14-2005 at 08:24 AM.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote