The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
guyryan100

tranny puked?

I was adding fluid to my 700r4 for the first time. I got the engine warmed up and checked the level - low. So I added a quart, rechecked, still a bit low but was at least showing up on the stick. Stepped outside the garage for some clean air (sure gets smoky in there quick) and when I came back the tranny had puked out a bunch of fluid out the filler tube - like 1/4 quart. I shut off the engine and checked the level - still shows low with the engine off (but still hot).

I had put 1 quart of fliud in the converter and there's 9 down the tube less whatever puked out.

Any ideas?

Last edited by guyryan100; 05-08-2005 at 10:35 AM.
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
modifiedGMC

I had a turbo 400 that done the same thing one time and stupid dirt daubers had stopped up the vent tube on the side and it couldn't breathe and puked fluid out the stick tube. Check the vent to make sure it's not stopped up with dirt or crap.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
guyryan100

I checked and the vent tube (up towards top of bellhousing) is clear and unubstructed. Again, it's a new tranny and the truck has never left the garage. Any other ideas? Should this tranny hold around 10.5 quarts?
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
CHEVIBUBBA
got boost?

that sounds about right.it may just be burping.the vent tube is actualy behind the bell housing iirc.
i have never seen one do that unless the vent was clogged.did you put some thing thru the tube? a WD40 extension tube works sometimes.
have you ran it thru the gears?
let it sit in each gear while powerbraking it for just a couple seconds then, recheck the level.
it should be driven as well if possible.then recheck.
i also highly recomend puting a puke tube on the vent & routing it away from exhaust, etc.
vacuum tubing & tie wraps work good.
you don't want it to drip or puke inline with the tires either.
i've asked dozens of tranny "experts" about the critical nature of the fluid level.
some say it needs to be spot on but, none could tell me why!
others said it wasn't that critical as long as it was on the stick.
they had experience running low fluid levels, so who knows.
if it shifts & shifts right, run it!
CHEVIBUBBA is offline   Reply With Quote