The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
Syco67

Red face Need some help from those with PS.

A fellow board member was kind enough to hook me up with the parts to convert my sisters 69 3/4 ton GMC to PS. I was wondering if anyone had some pics to post or send of there PS installed. I am still unwise in the ways of GM wrenching, I have always had fords. I'm not biased by any means, just always seem to end up with them. (Please don't hate me.) I really like this GMC, I take care of it for my sister, she only has room for 2 of 3 cars at her place, so I keep it at my house and get to drive it occasionally to maintain it.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Here are a couple of pictures of the steering box and hoses. It is pretty hard to show the pump as it is pretty low on the engine.

Jim
Attached Images

JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:51 AM   #3
Syco67

Thanks, it does sit pretty low, I scraped off the gunk and found the 2 mounting holes. I have the pump mounted on the block now, but the pulley on the pump sits too far back to line up with the crank pulley. Is it okay to use a pulley puller and move the pulley forward a little bit? it's only off by about 1/2 the width of the pulley.

P.S. Hey Teeitup, thanks for sending that extra balancer bolt, mine turned to crap when I reinstalled it after swapping pulleys, totally trashed the threads, I was able to clean the hole and use the bolt you gave me.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
70GMCer

What year set up is that for? The setup I have on my 70, came off a 71 PS truck and the hoses are ran differant. Are all 67 to 72 PS hoses run the same way?

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:02 AM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Do you have a cast crank pulley on the engine? It sounds like the pump and crank pulley may be different years.

Pulling the pulley forward is not a good idea. You may be able to fix the problem if you can locate a pump pulley with a different offset as there are different pulleys.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
Syco67

The crank pulley is a 2 piece setup, a flat pulley for the alt. belt, and the other pulley bolts to the front of the first one, but sticks out a little further.