The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
tnblazerk5
User #12137

wireing woes

today i was driving the 67 and then it just sputterd ( it was like i cut the key off )and died ,huh i thought, so i hit the key to crank it back up and nothing i was really like wtf now so i coasted to the side of the road and got out to take a look to see what happed . ok the frist thing i looked at was the red wire from the battery to the junction box( had it brake there once and the truck did the same thing ) , it was good shape ,battery in good shape , everything looked good, so i got out the test light. and went to pokin around got power on the red wire to the fuse block and got power to the starter ( should there be power on the little wires in there ? )and got power at the alt , no headlights , no power to anything inside the truck

so to get home i hot wired it (hot wire from the alt to the hei and crossed the stater with a screw driver and it ran, so home we went

now i got to figer out whats wrong with it

the truck is a 67 with a hei and internal regulater alt i did the wireing for all that years ago and cant remember whats what ? , i am getting old and losing it

so i think i need a wiring diagram of the wireing under the hood for all that stuff to see whats messed up in there ? what do you all think
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Well since you got it running by jumping the starter it rules out the fuel syatem and the primary wiring I.E. the large cables to the starter and the ground cable. The fuse block has power but no lights or key switch. sounds like the firewall connector may be loose. Anyway here is the diagrams for the 67 to 72s.Good luck and keep us posted.

http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/wiringdias.html

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
bisquik65
Account Suspended

There are two fuses in the harness right behind each headlight..Check those,One in for the alt,other for headlights
bisquik65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
bisquik65
Account Suspended

Did you put a guage dash in place of the light dash?
How did your taillights harness fry?
And i have some complete harnesses here for light clusters if you want to start over...I hate electrical troubles!!!!!
Old 05-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
tnblazerk5
User #12137

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet
Well since you got it running by jumping the starter it rules out the fuel syatem and the primary wiring I.E. the large cables to the starter and the ground cable. The fuse block has power but no lights or key switch. sounds like the firewall connector may be loose. Anyway here is the diagrams for the 67 to 72s.Good luck and keep us posted.

http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/wiringdias.html

the wireing harness block is tight aready checked that but i didnt take it apart to look at it but i will tommarow and see whats in there !!
Old 05-29-2005, 10:00 PM   #6
tnblazerk5
User #12137

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisquik65
Did you put a guage dash in place of the light dash?
How did your taillights harness fry?
And i have some complete harnesses here for light clusters if you want to start over...I hate electrical troubles!!!!!
more than likely i will need the hole motor harness( if i do that i will need a gauge harness so i can go ahead and change everything over to gauges ) and the taillight harness got fried but a small fire
Old 05-29-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
bisquik65
Account Suspended

I am going to johnson city tuesday with 2 junkers and mail packages and will get this harness up to you..To keep a fellow member's ol' 67 sb on the road...
Old 05-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
tnblazerk5
User #12137

i got a question just how many wires sould be hooked to the starter ? the battery wire and the purple wire and then mine had a red wire to it but it was not hooked to anything on the other end it was just laying there ?
Old 05-29-2005, 10:09 PM   #9
bisquik65
Account Suspended

You only need the one to the inside (motor side) of the starter. Come over here and get your guage harness/engine harness from a 72 V8 guage truck
Old 05-29-2005, 10:10 PM   #10
tnblazerk5
User #12137

if i can find a way to get there yea i will
Old 05-29-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
bisquik65
Account Suspended

You can get over here . And see if those tires are still there and i will buy them..
Old 05-29-2005, 10:17 PM   #12
tnblazerk5
User #12137

i will have to check on the tires i havent be able to catch the dude at home
Old 05-30-2005, 12:47 AM   #13
pjmoreland

I would recommend disconnecting the headlight wiring harness from the firewall, and check to make sure you have 12 volts on the big fat red wire that provides power to the inside of the cab. If you don't, then a fusible link is probably blown (the one that bisquik65 mentioned). The fusible link is taped inside the wiring harness near where the alternator regulator mounts. I was upgrading a truck awhile ago with a gauge instrument panel, so I was replacing the headlight wiring harness with one that had the wires for the amp meter. The truck was totally dead like yours. I finally discovered that the fusible link was broken (not fried). The previous owner of the harness had patched in longer wires for reaching across the engine to an alternator mounted on the passenger side (long water pump), and had not supported the fusible link well enough. I'm guessing that a few years of road vibration fatigued where the wire attaches to the fusible link, and it finally cracked off. Once I repaired the connection to the fusible link, the truck started right up.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:18 PM   #14
tnblazerk5
User #12137

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland
I would recommend disconnecting the headlight wiring harness from the firewall, and check to make sure you have 12 volts on the big fat red wire that provides power to the inside of the cab. If you don't, then a fusible link is probably blown (the one that bisquik65 mentioned). The fusible link is taped inside the wiring harness near where the alternator regulator mounts. I was upgrading a truck awhile ago with a gauge instrument panel, so I was replacing the headlight wiring harness with one that had the wires for the amp meter. The truck was totally dead like yours. I finally discovered that the fusible link was broken (not fried). The previous owner of the harness had patched in longer wires for reaching across the engine to an alternator mounted on the passenger side (long water pump), and had not supported the fusible link well enough. I'm guessing that a few years of road vibration fatigued where the wire attaches to the fusible link, and it finally cracked off. Once I repaired the connection to the fusible link, the truck started right up.

ok i have been out there missing with the wires lol and the big fat red wire has power to it so i pulled the plug apart and looked in there and the red wire conector looks like its been hot and the fuse block is discolored there around it so i would say that was the problem

thanks to eric i got a complete used harnness ,headlights ,under dash ,motor, tail lights and its for a gauge dash witch i was going to change to anyway

now i got sum questions
1 is there any differances in a 69-72 harness than a 67 one ? if so what are they?

2 am i letting this harness swap intimidate<sp? me or is it easyer that it looks ?
Old 05-31-2005, 04:20 PM   #15
tnblazerk5
User #12137

is there any differances in a 69-72 harness than a 67 one ? if so what are they?

nobody knows this ?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:53 AM   #16
pjmoreland

There are a few differences in the dash harness.

1) The parking lights do not turn on with the headlights for 67
2) The windshield wiper knob is on the left side of the gauge cluster on 67 and on the right for 69-72 so the wires in the harness for the wiper switch come out of the harness in a different place
3) The fuse panel is mounted sideways for 67 so the wires come out of it in different directions than for 69-72
4) 67 doesn't have the ACC position for the ignition switch

I installed a 69-72 dash harness in a 67 once when I was upgrading to an instrument panel with gauges. The only painful part was that I had to make some modifications to get the wiper switch wiring to reach the wiper switch. From then on my parking lights were lit when my headlights were on.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:07 AM   #17
bisquik65
Account Suspended

Quote:

2) The windshield wiper knob is on the left side of the gauge cluster on 67 and on the right for 69-72 so the wires in the harness for the wiper switch come out of the harness in a different place
3) The fuse panel is mounted sideways for 67 so the wires come out of it in different directions than for 69-72

I installed a 69-72 dash harness in a 67 once when I was upgrading to an instrument panel with gauges. The only painful part was that I had to make some modifications to get the wiper switch wiring to reach the wiper switch. From then on my parking lights were lit when my headlights were on.
Yes thats what i told him..right there...
Old 06-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #18
tnblazerk5
User #12137

Quote:

ok cool cause i got a 69-up gauge dash, with comaro tach, i want to put in anyway !!!!!!!!

and with the harness thats there and the one i got from eric i can make the modifications fairly easy , i think
Old 06-01-2005, 11:51 AM   #19
tnblazerk5
User #12137

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisquik65
Yes thats what i told him..right there...
yes eric i know you told me that i was just making double sure
now you want to come over here and help me with the harness change
Old 06-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #20
bisquik65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnblazerk5
yes eric i know you told me that i was just making double sure
now you want to come over here and help me with the harness change
It dont hurt to ask if you dont know!!!hehehehe pm sent