The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2005, 02:21 AM   #1
69gmcbigblock

newb with some questions

hey all,

so i just got a 3/4 ton gmc custom longbed with a 396 and i was wondering what my options are for front disc. i have seen the kits on the web but i was wondering if any later model front ends can be bolted on and if someone could tell me what the basics are for that swap and how much i'd expect to spend doing it.

also, the truck has been resprayed white, but was originally a light blue. does anyone know of a pic on the web showing a nice truck this light blue color? i -think- it's the same color combo as the short bed that SB_in_SC is restoring, but i'm not sure. from what i can tell it's just light blue with a white roof, but the dark blue on the glove box makes me wonder if there was dark blue anywhere else.

also the prev owner had the bench redone with oem style vinyl, but it seems more torquoise. am i right in guessing that originally it was the darker blue that the side panels are?

i just got the truck 2 days ago and it's still in need of a good scrub, but here's a few pics...

don't hate me for saying this but this is my first american truck. i've been into vintage vw's (mostly busses) and i've been guilty of owning in a lifted 86' toyota turbo, a beater mazda truck and currently an '04 frontier crew longbed 4x4 that i'm selling. besides all that jive i spend most of my money on motorcycles. for now my gmc will be mostly a home depot and dump runner, but hopefully a proper resto will be in her future. until then i will lurk around and absorb all the info i can -- expect a few dumb questions and poorly spelled post

cheers
droo
69gmcbigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:24 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Welcome to the board from West Michigan!

You have a good truck to start with, should be fun.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Welcome to the board from Kent, WA. No need for apologies...that is a great looking truck with some very nice options. Interesting that it has a tach dash in the proper color but nothing mentioned on the glove box. Interesting gear shifter...I am partial to an old piston or skull personally...LOL. This is a great site for information and parts. Nice Truck!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Welcome and does look like a great truck to start out with.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
Matt67C10

Welcome to the board, as others have said, you're starting with a great truck. I once owned a 75 chevy van, but since then all my vehicles have been either vws or Nissans. I love the 67, can't wait to get mine on the road.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
bagged91
Out draggin'

Welcome to the board from NJ. Looks like a sweet truck. As far as discs go on it, you can pick up a set of discs off of a 71 or 72 C20 or C2500 and swap it all over. The brakelines are different so you will need them too along with the proportioning valve. Good luck with the truck. Will be a nice piece when redone

L8R - Joe
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
tomatocity

Welcome to the board and thanks for showing your new truck. You have a great truck. It is strange the tach was not mentioned on the list. Gotta wonder if GMC automatically added tachs to BB 4speed CST trucks. What are your plans for your truck other than driving to HomeDepot? Damn that is a nice truck to start with. Let us know of your future progress.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
69gmcbigblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
Welcome to the board and thanks for showing your new truck. You have a great truck. It is strange the tach was not mentioned on the list. Gotta wonder if GMC automatically added tachs to BB 4speed CST trucks. What are your plans for your truck other than driving to HomeDepot? Damn that is a nice truck to start with. Let us know of your future progress.
thanks for the welcome all!

yeah i was thinking the same thing with the tach, either it was included with the custom, or maybe with 396s and 4 speeds?

no big plans for the truck now. for now mostly just cleaning it up getting everthing working well. maybe a OEM rear bumber, new tailgate and replacement windshield. nothing major.

i got my eye on an 8 track player for tunes. nothing like black sabbath rocking out of a 1970's stereo then down the line i want to gut the 8 track and make the tape slot an ipod dock to a hidden stereo

anyway for now i got the truck to save money so she'll have to keep working for a couple more years before i can really start to make her look purty. i think the truck will be more of a stocker with some hidden upgrades.

you can see my sense of custom on my DRZ motard...
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...ehicle&vid=203

oh and here's a pic of a local truck that turned me onto clean mostly stocker 68-72's. sadly i took this picture a little to late. it was one of the cleanest stockers i've ever seen as a daily driver, but a storm brought a HUGE tree down on it.

cheers
droo
69gmcbigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
oj70chevy
250 V-6 Club

and from texas
Old 06-22-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
edmonton72
Nothings as cool as my 72

Looking at that picture of that 71 almost makes me want to puke that sutch a nice truck got wrecked. Thats a nice truck you have. Stock trucks look pretty sweet. Nice bike also.
Rolling chassis finally done and cab mounted. Now onto sanding, bondo and more sanding.
edmonton72 is offline   Reply With Quote