The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #1
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Uh oh, getting those feelings again...

I love my K5, but man this thing sure needs a lot of work. I don't know how it happened, but this thing has really gone downhill. You ever have one of those days?

You see all of the new deep scratches from the neighborhood cat, tranny fluid + transfer case oil + oil pan + front diff oil + steering box fluids on the plywood under the truck, the truck has a new vibration, a new squeak, a new dent, there's an exhaust leak in your brand new exhaust (of course it's at the header gasket), and so on, and so on.

You ever have one of those days? My truck really needs the full drivetrain out, and some decent body work and some paint now.

Everyone is just telling me to sell it, and I am just not sure... From this point on, every penny I put in, I lose.

Hmmm... Ideas? Angles?
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
71swb4x4

If you bought it to make money forget about it. I doubt that's why you bought it though.
I am sure you could make a list of the good things and it would be ten times longer than the bad things. Just tackle them one at a time. Not a big deal. All of these old trucks have a little problem here or there. Add them all up and it can be overwhelming, but fixing them is what makes it fun. Keep it!!
Old 07-09-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
Jdog44

Hey i know what you mean after you do the engine then the tranny then the diffs,rad,interior,tires,rims then your hauling getting the thumbs up sign when your driving. And then it wont start [msd box problems],starter . I have had my truck a long time and like driving it especially in cool weather with the top off. but lately iam getting tired of working on it and it seems like it always needs somthing. Dont get me wrong it has given me years of trouble free service and have used it to tow ,off road, daily driver. And i find myself longing for a new 4x4 with cold ac and no vibrations and squeaks. A lot of my buddys have old muscle cars and iam thinking about geting one to fix up.Everybody tells me that if i sell it i will regret it. [after they offer to buy it]
Old 07-10-2005, 01:27 AM   #4
donkey69
JB-80 "Twice as Good"

The feeling will pass!!!

Old 07-10-2005, 07:36 AM   #5
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Been there, done that, oh wait, I'm still there, the PO did a fabulous
job on GQ to the point from where I took over, however some of the
things he did differ from the look I would like to achieve, I have been
reworking lots of things, and still have a long list to go, yes it can be
frustrating, but remember one thing, you are a part of a elite group,
the brotherhood of 69-72 K5's, lots of people would LUV to be in the
position you are right now, you have already done the hardest part
of it all, YOU OWN ONE!
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Yes these trucks need some work but lets face it they are 30 years old and made from rubber, steel and plastic and all these items wear out over time but once you have replaced all the vital parts that are worn out you have another 30 or so years before it wears out agian and even then you will still look cooler than anyone else in there new bling bling hover cars.....

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
71jimmy

I know how you FEEL! Been there done that! Early in my youth I had spent 3yrs completly rebuilding a '65 Mustang 2+2, bought it for $300 and proceeded to spend another 8K on it (this was 30yrs ago, oh my god). When it was done, I drove it for 6 mos and sold it. I realized that even though it was "like new" it would always require "work" to keep it that way and I couldn't leave it anywhere because someone would "borrow it" (steal it). It had already gotten jacked once early in the resto, police found it a week later, luckily I hadn't put too much time/money into it at that point. But I regret selling it almost every day. With my Jimmy now, I made the decision that it is only a TOY. Luckily it doesn't have to be a DD. I also made the decision that it won't be a SHOW vehicle, if it has a drip here or drop there it doesn't bother me, it keeps everything lubed. A new vehicle is only new for so long and then the drips start, and chances are you won't be happy until you customize it the way you want. I also realize that if I buy one for 5k, 10k, 15k it's going to require my attention and chances are the PO didn't do things the way I want. With my 1k Jimmy, I get to build it the way I want, yes, it needs everything, but I like the building part. I do get jealous of my friends when they actually get to use their rigs, but they spent thousands on them and they still work on them constantly. Hang it there!!!!!!!!!!

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
Jimmy72custom

If you don't think that this is your Blazer, get another. It's not the destination, it is also the journey. When I found my Jimmy, I knew it was mine and spent three years of week ends and more money in parts then I want to admit to. I enjoyed that chapter as much if not more then driving her. It is not my DD but it is my Week end fun. I get a big smile with the top off, the CD up and the sound of the exhaust going threw the gears. I looked at many rigs before I found the one that I knew was mine.
Jimmy72custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #9
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Very good perspectives... I just got pulled over today for ??? mud flaps??? of all things. If anyone has been to Salt Lake City, everyone seems to drive lifted trucks here, many as tall as mine, many taller then mine, and I don't see a lot of mud flaps. Must be the CA plates I suppose.

Guy was nice though, just doing his job. Said he thinks I will have a problem getting through inspection when I go for UT plates. Says that the tallest lift on a 'highway use' vehicle is 4", but again, there are a ton of lifted trucks here. A little discouraging. Thinking about getting some nice 35s and dumping the 3" body lift. Good thing for me, I was in a part of SLC about 15 miles from me, so no local cops have given me any trouble yet.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Mudflaps go on and come off easy enough.Things have a way of bunching-up on vehicles,old and not so old.Damn machine!!Just keep chippin`,it`ll get done.At least you don`t have the burden of rust biting at your heals.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #11
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I was feeling the same way about my '69. Then the opportunity to buy my '72 came up and it changed my whole perspective. I really enjoy the '72. As soon as I get the ambition and time, I'll clean up th e'69 and put it up for sale. Right now, i can't even bring myself to go out and work on it

As far as the plates go, I'm surprised you are still driving around with California tags. That would have been one of the first things I would have done if I made that move. Being a former Californian, I know there is a lot of discontent towards Californians moving to new areas.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz 1970 K5
I love my K5, but man this thing sure needs a lot of work. I don't know how it happened, but this thing has really gone downhill.
try keeping FOUR of them on the road!

I feel your pain but just chip away at it, fix/repair one issue at a time.

Lots of fair points posted above, stick around you'll be glad ya did.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:02 PM   #13
blazerparts
No,I DON'T have Tourett's

Leaks are normal. That's why I park in the street, not my driveway......it's a win win situatation, the street gets oiled and my driveway doesn't look like the Exxon Valdez wreck. Just keep in mind how "therapudic" classic vehicle restoration is. Most of all, just think what your boys are learning watching dad work on cars.
blazerparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #14
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerparts
Most of all, just think what your boys are learning watching dad work on cars.
Yeah, but does he really want his boys learning that kind of language

Seriously, if it's not your daily driver, don't sweat it. I hardly worked on mine at all for a few years, but this spring I got itching to play some more. So far in the past few months I've put on new headers, exhaust, and I'm in the middle of putting the TPI on. It's fun again...I just make sure my daughter is out of earshot when I'm up to my elbows in it
Mike
2001 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4/4.7L V8/5 spd/Headers/Jet Chip, etc. Daily Driver
2002 Airborne Zeppelin (roadbike) Titanium frame/Campy Chorus
2004 Filippi Italia S (rowing shell)
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:54 PM   #15
wright-ons

How many repairs could you make for what it would cost you in mounthly payments for a brand new rig
wright-ons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:17 PM   #16
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Wow, very good points still!

Quote:
Leaks are normal. That's why I park in the street, not my driveway......it's a win win situatation, the street gets oiled and my driveway doesn't look like the Exxon Valdez wreck. Just keep in mind how "therapudic" classic vehicle restoration is. Most of all, just think what your boys are learning watching dad work on cars.
Ya, that's why I had to move! I made such a mess of the garage floor, I couldn't do anything but move! That Blazer has left a permanent message for all future owners of that house. I smarted up this time, and have a big thick piece of plywood from the front of the truck to all of the way behind the transfer case.

Good point on exposing the kids to this stuff. If we don't keep these next generations excited and aware of classic autos, it will be a part of American history that will go to rest.

Far as the language goes, since 'opensaysame' never seems to work, I do find it rather necessary to apply the appropriate verbage. I couldn't count how many times that one stubborn bolt came to loose to 'fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu......!!!' - you get the idea.

I should just start pulling it apart, so I don't have a choice but to work on it.