The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
MR.BOWTIE

Edelbrock carb cleaning question

.....I apologize if this has been addressed already (I'm sure it has), But my old lady was taking my 71 c10 350 to work( isnt it always when THEY use it?!)
went around a corner and it died, I changed the inline fuel filter, but it would not idle, just lots of smoke, as soon as I gave it gas it would flood itself out. I noticed gas in the carb base and dripping out of the left(autochoke) side linkage. Towed it home, took some carb cleaner to it hoping it would help. It was running fine before this. I have an edelbrock 1405 on performer intake. Edelbrock tech said that it was probbably my needles and seats to clean them, said thats the problem 90% of the time. Then to check my float as well. The big question is how to do this, I am no mechanic, is there a good technic for this procedure. He said that was probably it since it happened quick, not over time like a fuel pressure issue. I did ride on one dusty road a week ago, I also have the open all around air filter. Thanks for any help, awesome advice on here.
MR.BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

order carb kit for your carb......
remove carb from engine

lay papers out on table........outside turn carb upside down to get gas in carb out.........

remove top horn screws.......these carbs are very simple......
all instructions will be with carb kit......
you will see the crap laying in the bottom of the bowl......

clean every thing....be gentle.....don't stop until carb is back together......

your pal mark
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:50 PM   #3
pjmoreland

If one of your float bowl needles stuck open, your fuel pump may have been pumping an endless amount of gas into your engine. You may want to check your oil to make sure it isn't contaminated with gas.

You may also want to install a fuel pressure regulator. I've heard it said by more than one board member that Edelbrock carburetors can't handle the high pressure that OEM mechanical fuel pumps put out.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:44 AM   #4
tomatocity

agree with 'rage'. you got crap in your carb. happened to the 1406 I installed on a 62 Impala SS. The gaas tank seemed to have a beach in it.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:05 AM   #5
MR.BOWTIE

Thanks fellas I knew I could count on ya!! the carb is less than a year. You guys are right the Summit Racing Tech (dont these guys have good customer service, check em out if you havent)said that mightve been too much fuel pressure, that they dont need more than 5.5lbs of pressure, might need regulator, I still might need one seeing as how mine is aftermarket fuel pump.But yea when I checked the carb after it flooded, I could still see fuel pouring from jets a little.
MR.BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote