The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #26
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine
I do have one good thing to say about the wood bed conversion I bought from Mar-K. That is some damn fine fitting stuff !!! The front bed panel fits EXACTLY like it should, nice thick metal, doubt if even an expert could find a difference, same with the rear bed brace. The floor supports were all perfect, not ONE hole had to be enlarged to fit, and wood was real nice as well as the stainless strips, all holes where they're supposed to be, which was nice that all parts measured as they should, because if you have ever done one of these, there are about 100 parts it seems that have to line up with each other. If the parts were needing massaging on something like that it would be impossible to get a straight, square bed. Only complaint about Mar-K is that they don't supply a short support to go between wheel tubs, said it wasn't needed, Well the wood floors I remember seeing all had those, but I tried it and was way too soft between there, I ordered one from LMC of all places (actually have had no problems with LMC yet), and it fit just like the Mar-K stuff and made a big difference in floor strength. Without it I think there would be 4 rows without a brace. MAR-K are you listening ?? You need to get that support for between the tubs in your kit !!
Mar-K is listening and you come through loud and clear. Thanks for the kind words but especially thanks for the criticism. That is how we learn to improve. We don't get to read all posts every day so sometimes it takes a day or two to pay attention. The short support (we call it the reinforcing strip in the catalog) you requested is the same part used in the stepside beds. It should have been sold to you when you requested. We have measured many trucks over the years but this must have slipped by. There is a 72" reinforcing strip at the front of the wheel tub and a cross sill at the rear of the wheel tub. We showed nothing in between them, a span of 39". In the center the wood practically rests on the frame. A reinforcing strip could be placed at the bed strip hole that is 48" back from the front bed panel assuming you have a short bed. Is that where you placed yours? Did it interfere with the frame? Anybody out there with an original wood bed? We will include it in the kit if it was there originally. Otherwise it will be available as a recommended option.

Mar-K
Old 07-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #27

If We Are Talking About The Same Small Support, I Am Using One Off Of A Swb Stepside In The Center Of My Fleetside Swb. The Rest Of The Supports Will Be From A Lwb. I Am Not That Far Yet So I Dont Know If The Runner Holes Will Be In The Correct Spot.

Gm Fender $500
Repo $100
Gm Rocker $80
Repo $20
(i Also Want To Add The Factory Pants I Wore 33 Years Ago Dont Fit Well Now Either.) Lol

The Price May Raise Red Flags As To Fit, But After 1/2 A Century Of Life I Say Gm May Not Always Just Bolt Right Up. But If I Had The Money I Would Buy Gm. I Guess Thats Why I Have A Repo 1968 Front Cap In My Shop, I Will Make It Fit. When It Is Painted I Will Not Use The Repo Gate To Haul Crawfish Or Alligators It Will Be To Relive My Younger Days.

Tommy
55454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:02 PM   #28
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55454
If We Are Talking About The Same Small Support, I Am Using One Off Of A Swb Stepside In The Center Of My Fleetside Swb. The Rest Of The Supports Will Be From A Lwb. I Am Not That Far Yet So I Dont Know If The Runner Holes Will Be In The Correct Spot.

Tommy
The holes should match up if you used a reinforcing strip from a 60 thru 72 stepside. Bed wood width dimensions in the bed center area are the same for fleet and stepside. You can verify that by holding the stepside reinforcing strip next to the fleetside cross sill and see the holes line up. Use caution if you install it drectly over the rear wheel area as it may interfere with the frame kick up. It looks good on the sawhorses but will high-center when you set it on the frame
Mar-K
Old 07-19-2005, 03:49 PM   #29
Green Machine

I just checked my truck. I don't know about the short fleet, but mine is a long fleet 68. If you count row one as the front bed panel, row 7 is where a short reinforcing strip can and was added on mine. It clears the frame by about 1/8 inch on front side, rear missses by about 1/4 inch. Row 4 has full cross sill, row 5 has long reinforcing strip, row 6 must be left empty as there is no room, row 7 is where you can add short reinforcing strip, and row 8 is the rear of wheel tub with full cross sill. Hope that helps.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote