The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2005, 04:06 AM   #1
ante_up13

Light Harnesses????

I have a 69 c-10 and one of the parking lamps up front is not working right and just drains the battery. I have looked all over the web to find out that nobody reproduces these things. I have noticed they reproduce 67-68 and 70-71 or 72 but not 69. Is there a way to fit the other model year lights in? Or refurbish it myself?

Also my rear backup lamps don't work...I am having the same kind of trouble with them...faulty sockets/wires...
ante_up13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:50 AM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

If you want a new harness M&H Electric Fabricators can set you up with an OEM spec harness. I checked their site and they did have '69 listed.
www.wiringharness.com/PDFS/Chevrolet_Truck.pdf
I've used their products twice now and I'm very satisfied with the quality. Stock connectors are in the right places, color coding is right on, length is perfect, they're US-Made and the guy who fabricates your harness signs his name to the piece. I had a loose [intermittent connection] ground at the pass side turnsignal lamp on my '71 Jimmy. It was burning up regulators, then alternators and frying batteries. A good front light harness cured it up. I also replaced the taillight harness. The PO had scabbed in a lot of different mickey mouse trailer connections.
Yes, they are not cheap, but these harnesses are about 36 years old. The copper-stranded wire gets brittle or corroded. The vinyl coating flakes off. All the PO's trailside quick fixes can compound to make for a real nasty mess. Especially in the engine bay, where you've got heat petrochemicals and battery acid.
Check it out.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
ante_up13

Yeah...I bought all the available wiring from them already(Engine harness, underdash harness with new fuse block, the firewall to rear connector and tail light harness). Thats when my problems began with the front parking lamps(I think I messed up the wires when I was connecting the connectors...the wires seemed dry and brittle(to be expected)). I checked M&H's site and they don't offer the parking lamp harness. From what I can tell by looking at it, the harness is part of the housing. I have talked to the guys at ECE and I was told nobody makes it. I am just wondering what anyone else has done with their 69's when they ran into this problem. It seems like the only year that nobody makes a reproduction of.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
lamar

Make sure they are grounded good. That is a probelm I find a lot with my truck all over the electrical system.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
ante_up13

Thanks...that seemed to fix it for now.