The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #1
Jakes-66-K10

Hitting a brick wall

Well, after spending the entire summer by myself underneath this '70 CST/20 I'm about ready to give up. Yeah, it's that bad... I've installed a new GM crate engine and countless parts to complete it, a 700r4 and all of BowTieOverdrives kits (wiring, TV etc), a new driveline, new exhaust, new instrument cluster, and it seems the truck is so close, yet I am totally stuck now.

I have done the initial timing, as far as raising #1 to TDC putting the dizzy in, wiring - everything is done. But this thing runs like CRAP, needle on the tach bounces 500 rpm and it just does NOT want to run. Exhaust is so heavy it fills my entire yard, so I can only try and run this engine for a minute or two before the fumes are too great. Problem is, I can't tune the carb because the engine runs so poorly.

I went out and bought a timing light to try and get it timed, so I can move to the next battle of tuning my carb (Road Demon) but I cannot see the mark on the balancer at all with the timing light. I thought maybe I really screwed up so I crawled underneath the truck with the light, looking if I had it 180 degrees out. For the life of me, I just can't see the mark - even after painting it dark black. When stationary the mark has high contrast... I just don't get it.

I really wish I learned more about this stuff years ago when I had someone around to teach me. Figuring this out by yourself really sucks sometimes. I'm seriously feeling like I'm in over my head - and considering selling the whole thing. But I thought I'd get some feedback from all the wisdom on this board, and give it one last shot to see if anyone has any idea how to help...

Thanks guys (and gals)
Jakes-66-K10 is offline   Reply With Quote