The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
71RestoRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel
Hmmm, now mine is a 72 GMC with the Cheyane package. Ive taken the originals out, but I dont recall any bends... got a picture?
I didn't remember the bends either but it's been a very long time! The originals "bend" around the top of the B-pillars. They sit flush in the back, tuck under the chrome trim piece and then continue forward around the B-pillars all the way to the rubber weather stripping at the door. There is a joggle at the B-pillar.

If you make your own panels and stop them short of the B-pillar in the front, then they don't have to bend. I want mine to have more of an "original" look, but don't want any scroll pattern... so re-pops are out.

I ended up ditching the hardboard / chipboard idea as it was too brittle and does not take to well to moisture. I found a local specialty automotive supply store that sells waterproof "panelboard" made just for this type of application. The only drag is that the largest dimension I could find is 60" so I had to make a splice which really was no big deal.

I hope to get them done this weekend and will post pics if I do.