The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
jcfoote60

Neutral safety switch

OK.......so I pinned the nuetral safety switch, put the automatic gear selector in drive just like the service manual says to, and the best I can get is start ability in neutral but not park! I have spent the last three hours fussing with it including getting a new switch at NAPA.............still the same results! Anyone out there that has had the same pleasurable experience and would like to give me some advice???

JC...............
jcfoote60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
neonlarry

How sloppy are your shift detents\linkage? The N\S switch makes contact at two specific angles+- a little. If there is too much slop it might be out of range for contact.
Also make sure once you tighten the switch down that it doesn't move any when you move the shifter.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
jhow66

I adjust mine by putting shifter in Park and moving switch until it will start. It has always started in netural when doing it this way.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:59 AM   #4
pjmoreland

I recommend making sure your shifter linkage is adjusted properly first. Your shifter linkage is adjusted correctly if you can shift between N and D without having to pull back on the shifter lever. You should have to pull back on the shifter lever to shift from N to R, and from D to L2. The shifter linkage is adjusted by loosening the nut on the little arm that sticks out of the steering column inside the engine compartment and has the rod that runs down to the transmission attached to it. You can slide the rod in or out as needed and retighten the nut. Once the shifter linkage is adjusted correctly, you can then loosen the neutral safety switch screws and slide it one way or the other as needed. I usually just adjust it so that the back-up lights come on when the shifter is in R.

Make sure that when you mount the switch on the column, the tab inside the column that moves the switch must be sticking right into the slot in the middle of the slider in the switch.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote