The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

i've been adopted! let the swap begin!

after much hassle with Southeastern Frieght today, I finally got it home.

LET THE SWAP BEGIN.

Here's a pic of the new engine, the original engine with the truck and new engine/tranny, and I still gotta take the other I6 - 250 out of it!! Need another motor stand :\

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
pjmoreland

Sweet!!
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
Jimbotronics
YA YA

nice looking truck ya got there shifty!

kudos on the engine too!

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
lloyd k

in that picture the motor almost looks as big as the truck-haha wow thats going to be nice
Old 08-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd k
in that picture the motor almost looks as big as the truck-
IT IS! WOOHOOO!!!

I'm so excited. Wish I could work on it tonight. I gotta work out some logistics. I still don't know how the hell I'm going to get the damned engine and tranny in the truck yet. There's an downward gradient outside the garage doors. I need a smooth floor to wheel that bastard around. I guess I could mount a steel eye in the floor, turn the truck around, roll it out and use the come-along to pull it back in the garage. :\ Any suggestions?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
FuelCellGuy
FUEL CELL GURU

That mofo is going to run!! Have you driven an LS1 powered vehicle yet?? My wife has banned me from driving her 2000 WS6 Firebird because of the way I drive it. The 68 Camaro project will definately has an LS-based engine. Sa-weet!!!
FuelCellGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
mjrmn
'67 K10 Work In Process

If you have the room (it looks as if you do) just use your floor jack to swing the front of the truck over until its sideways in the garage.
mjrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 PM   #8
Deuce

That looks FUN!!!

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:17 AM   #9
70short/step

So your gonna have it drivin this weekend arent you?
Think you will love it when your done!

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:20 AM   #10
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Shifty got his work cut out
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:40 AM   #11
TireSmoke420
One of the few GMC'ers

i remember you posting when you won the auction were you able to get any free parts from him like the maf sensor and intake and stuff like that. ohh and ecm

"Young, Dumb And Full Of Cum"
TireSmoke420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:21 AM   #12
Swbman

Man, that's going to be SWEET. keep us up on your progress...
Old 08-17-2005, 07:46 AM   #13
milner

Wow, I'm jealous. Let us know how she runs.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:44 AM   #14
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireSmoke420
i remember you posting when you won the auction were you able to get any free parts from him like the maf sensor and intake and stuff like that. ohh and ecm
I'm still getting parts in - the intake is there (on top). I know it's an LS6 intake, the Ls6 intake came stock on all '01-'02 LS1's. I just learned that reading up in the LS1tech site.

If you look on top of it, pretty sure that's the computer (ECM? PCM, whatever?).

He's sending the pedal assembly and MAF separate, didn't want to lose it in shipment. Smart guy. The dude I got it from doesn't communicate the best, but he makes up for it with performance and timely shipment. Just when I'm about ready to get pissed and call him, a part arrives

He said it came with an upgraded Z06 slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch (the line is cut if you look in the first picture), so I'm curious to see if it comes with the pedal assembly. If not, that will be the only thing that I don't think he included. I really wanted the tranny x-member and tranny cooler, but ... I guess I can't have everything, eh?

Last edited by shifty; 08-17-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:50 AM   #15
72str8flush

I bet that alternator is fun to replace Nothing like doing it on the 350 small blocks.

Looks awesome and good luck getting it in.
72str8flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
shifty
Questionable

Just replacing the power steering pump looks like it will be a riot, to be honest.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:37 AM   #17
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Shifty,

The '01 and '02 F-bodies had the Zo6 hydraulics. Also most of the 01/02 T56's had the upgraded steel shift fork for the 3/4 gears. Do a search for the "Drill Mod" on LS1Tech.com, that is something you should do while it is out of the truck. Takes about 20 minutes and will let the hydraulics flow ALOT better.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:16 PM   #18
shifty
Questionable

FirstGen,

Can you tell me something? If you look in the first picture I have above, look at the final O² sensor just behind the cat or whatever at the end of the exhaust. About two inches above that on the bellhousing is an anodized Square. Is that where the hydraulic clutch line (from slave cylinder) will attach? It looks like a steel line there that's been cut. I'm guessing it should be coming with the pedal assembly, but I wasn't clear.

Last edited by shifty; 08-17-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:01 PM   #19
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
FirstGen,

Can you tell me something? If you look in the first picture I have above, look at the final O² sensor just behind the cat or whatever at the end of the exhaust. About two inches above that on the bellhousing is an anodized Square. Is that where the hydraulic clutch line (from slave cylinder) will attach? It looks like a steel line there that's been cut. I'm guessing it should be coming with the pedal assembly, but I wasn't clear.

Exactly. That is the correct place. The fitting should be annodized in a bright yellowish color and it is a quick dis-connect. It shouldn't be cut however it is possible that they did cut it for quick removal since it can be very hard to get the dis-connect to come apart sometimes. If it is cut it would be cut at the steel braided line portion that is about 18 inches long un-cut. I can't really tell from that picture but it looks like they just used the proper dis-connect and the master cyclinder is probably still atached to the pedal assembly. From the factory the master cyclinder mounts to the firewall and then runs inside the to the clutch pedal assembly.

Does that help?

-Taylor
Old 08-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #20
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Quote:
IT IS! WOOHOOO!!!

I'm so excited. Wish I could work on it tonight. I gotta work out some logistics. I still don't know how the hell I'm going to get the damned engine and tranny in the truck yet. There's an downward gradient outside the garage doors. I need a smooth floor to wheel that bastard around. I guess I could mount a steel eye in the floor, turn the truck around, roll it out and use the come-along to pull it back in the garage. :\ Any suggestions?
Try taking off the front wheel and placing a stand as far back as possible, say under the cab. Then move the hoist in from the side. When you're ready to lower the engine move the stand back out toward the front, the center of gravilty will move forward throwing things out of balance.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #21
shifty
Questionable

FirstGen, get to pick your brain some more I hope.

Your alternator is high on drivers side, mine is low. Do you know, off-hand, if it's necessary to either a) notch the frame or b) relocate the alternator?

I'd like to find some WS6 fuel rail covers or a full cover like you have on your engine, but I can't seem to find the right terms to locate one using Google.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #22
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
FirstGen, get to pick your brain some more I hope.

Your alternator is high on drivers side, mine is low. Do you know, off-hand, if it's necessary to either a) notch the frame or b) relocate the alternator?

I'd like to find some WS6 fuel rail covers or a full cover like you have on your engine, but I can't seem to find the right terms to locate one using Google.

Thanks for your input, guys.

I am not as familiar with the F-body accessory setup you have but I do not think you will have any problems with the alternator. The A/C compressor is very tight though. You will most likly need to take that off and drop the motor in first then re-install and make modifications as necessary.

Most people call them "fuel rail covers":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corve...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-17-2005, 02:50 PM   #23
shifty
Questionable

I found that eBay auction you picked off, but everyone has 'vette covers. I like the Vortec covers, the cover like you have and I would alternately like something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...spagenameZWDVW

I would prefer to have something in black that's large and has WS.6 on it somewhere, just to advertise and whatnot (while cleaning up the look of the engine bay)

Old 08-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #24
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

those do look nice. Unfortunatly, you will not be able to run the Vortec style covers which would include the Escalade covers I have, the Denali, Silverado, etc since it would require that you use the truck intake a fuel rails.

I'm sure you could have some covers made out of fiberglass and painted for a reasonable price though...
Old 08-17-2005, 03:59 PM   #25
newin72
Account Suspended

take the front clip off and come in from the side. you should be able to get it in right where the truck is sitting. no rule that the cherry picker has to be in front of the truck. if you could back you truck up a bit even better.

that's how I did mine.

DEFINITELY invest in an engine leveler!
newin72 is offline   Reply With Quote