The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
GMC69mnypit
!Women...!!!!

LS1 - what header #????

LS1 guys-

Anyone running full length headers? Has anyone tried running full length F-body headers, or the truck full lengths?? I've seen several swap threads, but no specifics on what headers they used?

Thanks
Brandon
GMC69mnypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

I'm running ported Mac mid length's. Only header that will leave you good ground clearance on a lowered truck and will even fit in the frame some what. You still have to cut the frame some to make these fit...
Old 08-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
Frizzle Fry

I will use full length C5 Headers on my '61.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
I will use full length C5 Headers on my '61.
C5 headers won't work for anyone unless they are using a full C5 suspension/rear T56 setup like you are. You basically are using a C5 chassis with a 61 truck body. So for all practical purposes you have a C5 to buy mechanical parts for except that I'm sure you had to lengthen the wheelbase some.

How do you plan to lengthen the driveline?

Cool project!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
Frizzle Fry

Yes, that's correct. I was just chiming in for no real reason. I'm having a spacer and longer shaft machined to move the diff portion of the transaxle back 7". My rear suspension and trans cradle are already moved back (no cutting of the frame rails). By spacing back the diff from the trans I don't need to lengthen the torque tube or shift linkage.

Your exactly right, it is a full C5 rolling chassis w/ a truck body Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

To provide some real advice: I'd suggest having them custom made. You may be able to modify truck BBC headers by cutting off the primary flange and installing an LS1/GenIII flange. Good luck!

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 08-17-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Not at all, that's going to be a hell of a machine when you get it all up and running.
Take care,
Taylor
Old 08-18-2005, 06:07 AM   #7
GMC69mnypit
!Women...!!!!

Hey guys, thanks for your replys.

Firstgen, you've got a very clean looking install, hope mine turns out as well. Seen you over on LS1tech, too.

I'm not planning on lowering it, so clearance won't be much of an issue, as long as they aren't much lower than the traditional small block and big block full lenths were, I'd be happy. I'm running dual 2 1/2" with 40 series flowmasters right now behind the big block, I'd like to try and keep as much of that system as possible behing the LS1, trying to avoid stock manifolds and hacked up y pipe patched into the duals.

Thanks for your help,
Brandon
Old 08-18-2005, 09:18 AM   #8
68LSS1

I test fitted a set of KOOKS and a set of Hooker LT's both sets for a F-body. The problem is that the headers come in towards the engine and hit where on the stock mount that goes from the frame to the cross member. And even if you corrected for this problem the other problem is that they also tuck up to the engine and then curve and turn out. This is to clear the lower a-arm on the Camaro. Since they cannot go below it due to ground clearance, the header sort of follows the contour around it, which results in the collector pointing at and contacting the frame. With the Hookers the O2 bung was against the frame also, a easy fix, but something else that would have to be corrected. There are a couple pix of the KOOKS in the link in my sig. Beautiful headers though.

Edit for: your best bet will probably be to modify a cheaper set of Camaro LT's or get the S&P headers. If performance is the number priority then making your own is the only way to go.

Last edited by 68LSS1; 08-18-2005 at 09:21 AM.
68LSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #9
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC69mnypit
Hey guys, thanks for your replys.

Firstgen, you've got a very clean looking install, hope mine turns out as well. Seen you over on LS1tech, too.

I'm not planning on lowering it, so clearance won't be much of an issue, as long as they aren't much lower than the traditional small block and big block full lenths were, I'd be happy. I'm running dual 2 1/2" with 40 series flowmasters right now behind the big block, I'd like to try and keep as much of that system as possible behing the LS1, trying to avoid stock manifolds and hacked up y pipe patched into the duals.

Thanks for your help,
Brandon

Brandon,

Thanks for the compliments. As 68LSS1 stated, I really don't think using any stock LT F-body header will be cost or time effective. I tried to use a set of cheap flowtechs once and I was going to cut them up as needed. After mocking them up, I decided to sell them and look for something else because I figured it would be way too much hacking. The Mac's I am running are the closest thing to a good fit for the money. If you are on a budget these are going to be your best bet. You can pick up these headers for 100-150 used all day long. I made 450+ rwhp with them so I think they flow pretty well.

Good luck.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
masterbeavis
Having issues

what about finding a set of corvette manifolds??? I was reading in car craft a few months ago that the corvette manifolds did a very good job. Headers added a whopping 10-15HP. When I do my LSI/LM7 swap, thats what I will be looking for.

The Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:50 PM   #11
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Yeah if you can find my origional post titled "LS1/T56" it shows the vette manifolds I used in the begenning. They don't exactly just drop right in. I had to cut and re-weld the collector area to make them clear the rear of the bottom control arm area.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:00 AM   #12
masterbeavis
Having issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGen
Yeah if you can find my origional post titled "LS1/T56" it shows the vette manifolds I used in the begenning. They don't exactly just drop right in. I had to cut and re-weld the collector area to make them clear the rear of the bottom control arm area.
the search feature would be nice.... Id like to see pics from that. My swap will be for a 4wd, so stuff will be different, but it would stillbe nice to see what Iam getting into.

The Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #13
GMC69mnypit
!Women...!!!!

Hey guys, thanks for your help. I'm wondering how truck headers would fit, anyone tried going that route? I don't even know if anyone makes a full length version for the 5.3 / 6.0 's though. And, if your truck is lowered the clearance thing would probably really be an issue with them.

I've got an '02 2500HD with the 6.0. Been looking at the routing of the exhaust and trying to visualize what headers would look like and trying to compare that with pictures of ls1's in the 67-72's.

I just don't know...surely there's a way (other than make your own).

Brandon
Old 08-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #14
GMC69mnypit
!Women...!!!!

I talked to the guys at Street and Performance today, they say they have a header that will fit, they used it in their '68 LS1 conversion. They can't gaurantee it will fit unless you use their motor mount adapters. It doesn't appear to be full length, more like 3/4, 1 5/8" primaries.

Anybody heard anything about these?

they are at http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

Last edited by GMC69mnypit; 08-19-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #15
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC69mnypit
I talked to the guys at Street and Performance today, they say they have a header that will fit, they used it in their '68 LS1 conversion. They can't gaurantee it will fit unless you use their motor mount adapters. It doesn't appear to be full length, more like 3/4, 1 5/8" primaries.

Anybody heard anything about these?

they are at http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

Yeah, they are expensive so I quite looking right there. I can have a set made for the money they want.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:21 PM   #16
GMC69mnypit
!Women...!!!!

Well, I set the LS1 and tranny in the frame today for a trial fit, I'm really curious if the truck style headers will work.

Found these for 2wd newer Silverado's, really thinking about trying them unless someone has been down that road already.

http://byunspeed.com/catalog/product...933a4a9425570c

What do you think??

Brandon
Old 08-23-2005, 01:46 PM   #17
Custom 68

alot of it depends on the engine placement, depending on what you are planning I moved my engine back about 5-6 inches from the original SBC placement this allowed me to use the ZO6 manifolds without modification. It also helped with the weight (I assume) everythign is tight but fits. I made my own motor mounts and spacers coming up from my front "crossmember"
Good luck.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:49 PM   #18
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

I really don't think they will work, considering that the manifolds from the trucks won't even fit. But, they could be just perfect. They definatly look like they would be low to the ground...
Old 08-23-2005, 11:51 PM   #19
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68
alot of it depends on the engine placement, depending on what you are planning I moved my engine back about 5-6 inches from the original SBC placement this allowed me to use the ZO6 manifolds without modification. It also helped with the weight (I assume) everythign is tight but fits. I made my own motor mounts and spacers coming up from my front "crossmember"
Good luck.
Dave
Dave,
By you saying that you moved the motor back 5-6 inches what do you mean? I just don't see how you had the room to do that. You have any pictures? I'd especially like to see the un-modified Z06 manifolds and how they fit. Nice work.
-Taylor
Old 08-24-2005, 09:14 AM   #20
Custom 68

Taylor I will gather up some pictures and take some more, basically I moved everything back and suspended it as far back as it would go then I made the mounts to fit. I will see if I can show it in the pictures.
I got the manifolds off E-bay and understood they were Z06 they are cast pieces I think some I saw of yours looked fabed, I compared them to pictures in car craft and they looked the same they look like shorter headers except cast iron.

I need to get some pictures up here I havent done that since the conversion
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Old 08-24-2005, 09:16 AM   #21
Custom 68

I even tucked the AC in the stock place, I havent got the hoses hooked up yet am going to need some different ones but I think they should fit.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:28 PM   #22
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68
I even tucked the AC in the stock place, I havent got the hoses hooked up yet am going to need some different ones but I think they should fit.

Awesome, I got the compressor in fine just had trouble with one of the lines. Can't wait to see pics. Those are LS6 manifolds you are describing. In fact you may have bought them from me on ebay? I sold two sets a while back. My ebay user id is: Unlimitedlandscape. I planned to use a pair of those in a twin turbo LS1 project C10 I will be building for a buddy in the next few months.

Take care,
Taylor