The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

72 Chevy truck 1 ton *****

edited: it is against board policy to sell titles or vins.
Liz
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616

Last edited by mhc; 08-22-2005 at 04:07 PM. Reason: content
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
masterbeavis
Having issues

Hint hint, To make selling a title legal(er) you offer to sell title/frame/cab,(any combo of the two together) with the option to take or leave whatever you choose. This way it is not (as) illegal sounding when the buyer makes the purchase with intent to commit fraud.

[/hint]

The Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
Whynot
Account Suspended

I don't know how may swap meets you got to. But I make all I can ( a lot). And theres are always venders selling car/truck titles of diffrent years. And I don't mean under the table. They have boxes of them, Anyone with money can walk away from a swap meet with the year and make title they need and that year metal state tag also. If it was not legal they would not be able to see them. Some things are how you look at it. Like the other day a guy wanted me to tow his car with my personal wrecker. I told him It was agains the law,for me to charge for towing. I do no have a tow tag. But being he wanted to pay me $75 for a old swetty baseball cap I had,and he was blocking traffic. I did tow him,and was legal because it was a no charge deal.
Whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:41 AM   #4
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynot
I don't know how may swap meets you got to. But I make all I can ( a lot). And theres are always venders selling car/truck titles of diffrent years. And I don't mean under the table. They have boxes of them, Anyone with money can walk away from a swap meet with the year and make title they need and that year metal state tag also. If it was not legal they would not be able to see them. Some things are how you look at it. Like the other day a guy wanted me to tow his car with my personal wrecker. I told him It was agains the law,for me to charge for towing. I do no have a tow tag. But being he wanted to pay me $75 for a old swetty baseball cap I had,and he was blocking traffic. I did tow him,and was legal because it was a no charge deal.
hahah thats awsome dam I need to sell one of my titles too hmmm
Striker169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:25 AM   #5
Americanrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynot
I don't know how may swap meets you got to. But I make all I can ( a lot). And theres are always venders selling car/truck titles of diffrent years. And I don't mean under the table. They have boxes of them, Anyone with money can walk away from a swap meet with the year and make title they need and that year metal state tag also. If it was not legal they would not be able to see them.
I noticed that you have not listed the state you reside in or what state these swap meets are in.... You should not assume that just because it's legal where you are that it is the same everywhere. There are legal ways to apply for lost titles, and in some states the state patrol will even conduct a title search for you for a fee. The West coast states have high vehicle theft rate because we are close to the ocean ports, allowing stolen vehicles to be shipped out fast to other countries. Tampering with a title or VIN here in WA will get you some shiney steel braclets real fast.... and maybe a overnight stay at the Grey-bar hotel...
Here is our laws in WASHINGTON STATE

RCW 46.12.215
Unlawful sale of certificate of ownership.

It is a class C felony for a person to sell or convey a vehicle certificate of ownership except in conjunction with the sale or transfer of the vehicle for which the certificate was originally issued.

RCW 46.12.220
Alteration or forgery -- Penalty.

Any person who alters or forges or causes to be altered or forged any certificate issued by the director pursuant to the provisions of this chapter, or any assignment thereof, or any release or notice of release of any encumbrance referred to therein, or who shall hold or use any such certificate or assignment, or release or notice of release, knowing the same to have been altered or forged, is guilty of a class B felony punishable according to chapter 9A.20 RCW.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
masterbeavis
Having issues

Who can keep track of, and have a policy that will comply with state laws from all users?? Thats why its easier to do what I said, and sell part of the vehicle with the title. If you get busted, dont cry, cuz you know its wrong. It is easy enough to get a new vin number from the DMV/highway patrol, if you are legit.

The Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
dtlilly
Account Suspended

www.broadwaytitle.com
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:19 PM   #8
90\87Formula

[QUOTE=Whynot]I don't know how may swap meets you got to. But I make all I can ( a lot). And theres are always venders selling car/truck titles of diffrent years. And I don't mean under the table. They have boxes of them, Anyone with money can walk away from a swap meet with the year and make title they need and that year metal state tag also. If it was not legal they would not be able to see them. QUOTE]

I bet it's because the swap meets aren't policed and these vendors just haven't been caught yet. I would also be willing to bet that this selling is illegal in all states. There's more than enough legal ways to get a title ;to risk maybe loosing your truck by buying one of these titles. The legal way just takes longer and usually more $.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
64fleetside

Here they just don't care, I mean no one checks, no safety inspection, nothing. If its old(10+yrs) the DMV don't care. With the methheads driving around w/labs in the trunk & no tags, DLs, they don't care about anyone actually buying tags. If you have paid taxes,have ins & $25 you get tags. Yes, it is illegal but there are no police here that care about 30 y/o trucks built from parts in a guy's garage. Brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:55 AM   #10
kxmotox247

I don't think it's illegal to sell them at the swap meets because they are advertised "for your literature collection" or "collectable paperwork". I think the legal burden falls upon the actual buyer who may or may not use the title in an illegal manner.
I've sold old titles before and the rule of thumb is never to instruct the buyer what to do with it. I don't care. That's thier decision. And believe it or not...some people do collect old titles. Mostly cars from the early 1900's to 1940's...not neccesarily 72 Chevy pickups.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:29 AM   #11
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

I've always heard it's illegal to even remove a VIN plate so if that's true, that pretty much sums it all up right there.

I know one thing, I sure wouldn't sit at a swap meet openly selling them!

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:29 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I don`t think you "own" titles,like tags.They are the property of the state.It get`s lax as the with the age of the vehicle it seems.I would think it would be the same as selling license plates.As long as the title is not sold with the serial#-plate,it`s just a piece of paper.What can you do with it?I would think selling the package would be illegal.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote