The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
COBRO

Question Grade 8 bolts

After reading the thread below about the seat mounting hardware it got me thinking about the bolts holding the control arms - Im going to replace the very worn out rubber bushings in my control arms with poly bushings - the nuts and bolts that came with them are grade 5 coarse thread with regular nuts and lock washers which Im sure is what GM used - I bought grade 8 with fine threads and polylok nuts to use in their place - anybody see anything wrong with this idea. TIA:::::::CB
COBRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
hotrodmtodd
'Burban Legend

Bolts

Carl,
OEMs usually used lower grade bolts for 2 reasons. 1: Where tests proved that the lower grade bolts were sufficient for strength requirements, therefore outweighing the extra expense of higher grade pieces. OR... 2: In SOME cases, lower grades were used to protect higher dollar components from breaking before the bolts, IE like a sheer pin saves its host component. So basically, it is cost savings vs. overkill. I would say there is no problem using 8s on ANY suspension related component. It's using lower grades to replace higher grades that would not be advised. The GM engineers could probably give you all kinds of mind-boggling info on the subject. Take care, Mike
PS I will PM you on those parts we talked about a while back.
'68 McLaren Ramp Truck
'68/'68/'70/'71 Burbs 292/366/402/454
'69 C-30 dump
'71 C-50 dump and church bus
'71 4x4 454
'72 Blazer (w/pop-up camper) $15 x-hooks
'66 Chevy II 194/Weber
'68 El Camino" 305v6
'69 Skylark 455 Buick
'70 Chevelle 427
'71 Cutlass W-31
'71 GTO 400 2x2
"The 51" Chopped '51 Chevy (409) my first car

OK Toad, we'll take 'em all... John Milner
hotrodmtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
69 longhorn

Grade 8 hardware is all that I use on suspension pcs. If you guys all look under the front of your truck(take a wire brush with you), you will find grade 8 markings on the freakin bolts that hold the front cradle to the frame! I am no engineer , by any means......he!!, I dont even have a high school diploma! I have been around the block a time or two in the last 1/2 century tho my thoughts are that there is a good reason for the grade 8 hardware from the factory. also, if you do a drop on a truck , & the company sends grade 8 bolts for the front spring hangers(Bell Tech) , my bet is there is also a good reason for that! I am truely sorry that I didnt save the link, to dispell all the BS about fasteners(i am a little puter illiterate)......Will somebody please dig the link up, & put it in FAQ, to end the BS once and for all? for the guys that have stated in the past "Iwill still do it my way" , after reading the facts.......more power to you!! I promise i will not send any hate mail tho.....after all, it is in fact every mans choice how he lives his life! When my speedo is on the 2nd trip around, & reading 20mph......you had better damn sure know ,that I will be thinking about the fasteners on the bottom side of my old truck ........crazyL