The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
squeekyM

HELP!! need new engine

Hi Everyone,

I pulled my engine this weekend to replace all the seals, drop in a new clutch, and install a deep sump oil pan. As i tore the pan off, I noticed the bottom end of the motor is in HORRIBLE condition. The main bearings at the front of the motor had spun and created a HUGE gouge in the crank. Needless to say, the bearings are destroyed and the tolerences on the bottom end of toast.

To make a long story short, i need a new motor. I am trying to find the best route here. I just need a decent SB 350. Are the GM crate motors any good? I have found a 290 HP GM 4 bolt or $1600, I sure some one here can direct me to a great source for this motor. What are my options price wise. I would like to keep it around this price range or less. Please let me know what you think, thanks again for all the help. Take care.

- Jerry
squeekyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
jamal

Personaly I wouldnt worry about being a 4 bolt. I have a drag car, not going to mention is maker, and it pushes over 1k hp when spraying. I used arp's strongest main studs and my engine holds up. I don't care what anyone says, when you have a BB runnning 14:1 compression, and spining to 7500 a 2 bolt is strong enough. In adition a camaro z28 with an lt1 pushing 300hp only had 2 bolt from the factory, but the big brother corvette did have 4 bolt. I would rather have the machine shop build my engine for its intended purpose but thats me.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
69 longhorn

I wouldnt mess with that 290 hp crate, she has waaaay toooo much cam for the package. the 260 hp version is a better deal, & better warranty.....hell you can UP the cam later, < pick one that works L
Old 08-28-2005, 01:04 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Why geta new engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekyM
Hi Everyone,

I pulled my engine this weekend to replace all the seals, drop in a new clutch, and install a deep sump oil pan. As i tore the pan off, I noticed the bottom end of the motor is in HORRIBLE condition. The main bearings at the front of the motor had spun and created a HUGE gouge in the crank. Needless to say, the bearings are destroyed and the tolerences on the bottom end of toast.

To make a long story short, i need a new motor. I am trying to find the best route here. I just need a decent SB 350. Are the GM crate motors any good? I have found a 290 HP GM 4 bolt or $1600, I sure some one here can direct me to a great source for this motor. What are my options price wise. I would like to keep it around this price range or less. Please let me know what you think, thanks again for all the help. Take care.

- Jerry
Why get a new engine if all you need is a crank and bearings. A new crank and bearings shouldn't run more than $300 bucks and you can replace the seals and get a new pan like you planned.
I bought a s-10 with a broken crank and put in a new one with bearings for $200 and drove it for 30,000 miles and sold it for what I paid for it. Now if you have a lot more damage than you said then that's different.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote