The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
tomatocity

SEM Panel Adhesive

Thoughts!

Anyone using SEM Panel Adhesive? It's a two-part epoxy that's applied with a special gun. SEM claims you can use it to install patch panels, doorskins, etc. instead of welding.

http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=88

Has this been discussed before? If it works it would be an alternative to persons without or the availablity to a welder.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
EighthD

I use 3m automix 8115 to install door skins and it works great. It is also a two part adhesive.
EighthD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Yes, you can substitute this for welding on non-structural panels. The rule of thumb for 3M is that if you can removed the part and drive the vehicle down the street it is a candidate for bonding. 3M is the better brand to use however in my opinion.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
tomatocity

I had just heard about this product though it sounds like 3M is a big hit with the persons doing the work. 3M's policy is pretty loose for a full frame Chevy truck.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:18 AM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

This has been discussed on the "Paint & Body" forum. There are several brands available. "Fusor" is the most common around here. I have used it several times with great success. The only "failure" I ever saw was when a guy in the shop where I worked tryed to rush a job one day. I had the quarter panel glued on and the body-work done. The painter rushed it into the booth and shot it..........then the boss sees the car so near completion that he wants to deliver it that same day. He pushes the heat lamp over and sets the timer............Wham! The seam line in the sailpanel "jumps up" and we end up having to re-do it.
This was not the product's fault, but it can happen.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Yes, LONGHAIR, if you section a quarter panel that can happen. They tell you not to section a panel with adhesive only. You must weld the seam complete where you section the panel. The rate that one metal moves as opposed to the other panel are different. You must weld the section seam and the rear vertical seam to keep the panel from "peeling" loose in the event of a collision.
Carlos
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote