The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Jenn

replacing 350 questions.....

Hey.. new member here.. recently bought a 80 step side gmc, fuel pump blew, changed that,, bearings went.. , found a 350 standard to go in it. never replaced a motor before it will be a learning experience for my son and I. hes 14
Just wondering if theres a good site that shows the whole motor with instructions on taking it out and replacing it. this is my beater truck i am waiting for my diesel to get new heads, but want to get this one on the road asap........can ya help a lady out.. thanks..Jenn

1994 chevy 6.5 td 2500. 250,k

good truck, cracked heads.. motor getting rebuilt, should be running by monday.. finger xrossed...........

Last edited by Jenn; 09-24-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Welcome to the board. I don't know of a site that does it step by step but this site http://73-87.com/7387garage/garage_drivetrain.htm is a great reference to install the add on like the water pump, HEI distributor, etc. once you get the engine out/in.

The best thing to do is take some masking tape and a marker and label every wire and hose you take loose to know exactly where you took it off from. This will help when placing the items back on the engine.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
Jenn

thanks (79big10) that will come in handy later. the other motor is complete. hopefully it will go fairly smooth, just a few wrapped knuckles and oily hands..Buddy has all the tools and lifts we need..cant wait to get right in there. sons working on a 53 merc and a 54 ford.. shh dont tell anyone its a ford..( dad bought it for him).. moms a chevy girl. What i really wanted to see is whats inside. what hooks to what and needs to be unhooked..... unbolted to lift it out. I will know tommarow but curious tonight. did you see the pic.?

good truck, cracked heads.. motor getting rebuilt, should be running by monday.. finger xrossed...........
Old 09-24-2005, 12:27 AM   #4
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Nope sorry didn't see any pic. What kind of tranny does it have? Manual or automatic? This will make a difference on how to go about removing tranny from engine.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 09-24-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I didn't find any picture ste but this site has a good explanation of what is needed to be done. http://www.2quicknovas.com/happyremovals.html

Old 09-24-2005, 12:34 AM   #6
Jenn

manual. pic is on new member forum.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:41 AM   #7
Jenn

Thumbs up

Thats a good site.. said just what i wanted to read. the motor i am putting in is a standard, so well have to take off the flywheel.. could be the only clitch.. cross fingers all goes well and well drive it out of there in a few days..

Old 09-24-2005, 12:43 AM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Good looking truck ya'll got. Sounds like a great project. I know that you have to use a flywheel rather than a flex plate like you do on autos. Check the old one for wear around the bolt holes and check the teeth on the wheel as well. You don't want to replace that later if you can do it now. Also just make sure to replace anything you need to now while you have the chance. When I installed the engine I replaced all the stuff I could knowing how old it was.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:52 AM   #9
Jenn

Sons going to put that other 350 in his 54 ford. hes going to rebuild it.while its out. I just bought that truck for 700.00 two weeks ago..not sure if it was a good deal or not. have to replace the motor already, so far hasnt cost me anything.. re built motor was free..... for the boys itll be cool when its fixed. I prefer my diesel, steering is all cock eyed on this one.. but we will get it all straightend out..its deffinalty going to have some money spent on it....i liked it when i saw it though.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:57 AM   #10
Jenn

Oops I meant automatic.. sorry.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:01 AM   #11
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

If it's a automatic then should be easier to take out/install engine. At the tranny/engine meet up take off the dust cover. You'll have 3 bolts and nut at the torque converter which bolts to the flexplate. You'll have to rotate the converter to take off all three. Once these are out then it's free from the tranny other than the bell housing bolts. Then just start the list on the other site listed to take the engine out. Once you take the old one out then the new one should go in fine. Just make sure to break the new engine in properly. Even if a used one it won't hurt it at all

Old 09-24-2005, 01:17 AM   #12
Jenn

So no burn outs right away then ... ( JK)

thanks for the Info,, keep you informed on our progress...getting it dropped off at the shop tommarow morning (the new motor) cant wait to get in there....
Weve been looking at some of the mods done on these trucks, sweet potential.. very cool looking trucks , good forum for this project. and good response..thanks alot.. theres a black 80 step side here in town that is all done up ill try to get a pic of it to post on here..

ttyl

Jenn and Dev.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:23 AM   #13
Russell
Professional Grade

Swapping the engines out isn't a tough job at all There are only a couple things that hold the engine and tranny down. That includes electrical components (I don't think my 80 had anything more than a relay on the valve cover, the distributer's power feed, and the starter wires) Exhaust, fuel system stuff, two bolts on the engine mounts, and depending on if you take the tranny out right away or not, either 1 - 2 tranny mount bolts, or the bellhousing bolts, and finally the throttle cable.

The biggest thing is just taking your time, make sure that you look over the whole engine several times as you are pulling it out to make sure you arn't about to rip a wire off, or get hung up on something.

If you've got an impact gun, make sure that you make use of it Esspecially useful on bolts like the exhaust manifolds. They can often get corroded in, and if you try and take them out with a socket, you run a pretty good risk of breaking a bolt off in the head. An impact wrench will often be able to remove those bolts by hammering on them, breaking the corrosion bond, and not twisting them off.

If you've got any questions, feel free to post up. I'll be on and off the computer most of the day, and can take pics of stuff for you along the way

Biggest thing of all is to take your time, and be safe. Engines arn't light, though the crane may make it seem that way, and could seriously injure you if a seal in the crane were to fail for some reason. Basically, make sure that you never put yourself in a position to get hurt if the engine falls for some reason.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:33 AM   #14
Jenn

thanks, I dont think i need to take off the heads though do i? shouldnt it all come out as one pretty much? i have a list to follow on the site that 79big10 gave out. I wont be alone so no worries ill be under supervision from a buddy thats a chevy nut.. he is making me do it all though so i learn. . ill will be careful and thanks for the advice Russell , I will keep in touch. tommarow let you know how it went.. If I still have my fingers to type that is.. jk hope so.. Jen

Old 09-24-2005, 09:41 AM   #15
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

No you do not have to take off the heads. It should all come out together at a sharp upright angle. You will have to take off the hood. As you have already been told, take your time. Welcome to the board from Kentucky.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #16
Russell
Professional Grade

I meant the exhaust manifolds, which are installed into the heads You only need to remove the doughnuts from the manifold's flanges, which again, you'd want to use an impact wrench for (even though you'll probally break those studs anyways )
Old 09-24-2005, 11:31 AM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Jenn, welcome to the forum. We are alwys glad to have new folks here.

It looks like these guys are offering some great advice. You might want to consider a general clean up while the old motor is out. It's always nice to put a fresh motor in a clean compartment. It makes the job so much more pleasent.

Just be sure to take some before and after pics, cause we like pics.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #18
Jenn

Cool

Thanks guys. I will take some pics..I am a member of "the diesel place" too but they dont offer much info on gassers there. glad to be here.
This is the place to be for what my son and I are doing..almost identical site although my pics are too big for the avaitor?? going to work on it now. so let you know later how it went.. is it possible to do it in a day? we will see i guess..thanks again for the support..

Old 09-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #19
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Nothing looks worse than a beautifully detailed engine in a dirty, greasy engine compartment. As N2TRUX said, clean good and touch up anywhere it needs it with fresh paint will really set it off. A power washer does wonders.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 10:01 PM   #20
Jenn

Well Honestly theres nothing beautiful about this engine i am putting in. but it whats inside that counts right..Today we worked on it all day. Got everything takin off. all bolts off, Russel (we never broke any bolts on the manifold). the flywheel was the biggest challange i rasped my finger on the teeth.. that hurt, couldnt get them off. took a break thought about it, jammed a screw driver in the teeth and wedged it against a solid part of the tranny.. and got all three with ease..my buddy wasnt there so me and dev figured it all out. its ready to be chained up and takin out..guess it cant be done in a day.. We were cleaning up the other one. might pant the head covers make it look better. the engine compartment is not too dirty but we will pressure wash it tommarow , before we put the new engine in. worked hard today, tommarow it should be an easier day.......took some pics. will show soon..

Old 09-24-2005, 11:21 PM   #21
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

It would be a good idea to clean up the new one as much as possible while it's out. Make sure to tape off any holes and then prime and paint. Priming actually is a great step to ensure the paint sticking better. Like the others mentioned it's also a good idea to pressure wash the truck. I did that while mine was in the pasture before getting it running.

Old 09-25-2005, 04:46 AM   #22
Russell
Professional Grade

Well done!

Sounds like things are working in your favour!

For the flexplate, I usually just use my impact wrench with a couple long extensions, lol

However, I did the same thing as you before I thought of that, and yes, I've lost many a layer of skin to that flexplate...

Congrats on getting all the bolts out It must be an 1980 engine thing, cause that is the only engine I've ever managed to get all the bolts out without breaking them as far as the exhaust manifolds go
Old 09-25-2005, 05:57 PM   #23
Jenn

Well i just cant do it today, my body is so sore, back, arms, legs everything.. ... have to finish it tommarow after work. i wonder if i should be looking at the bearings and the heads in this one or just cross my fingers and hope it works,, I know it was running but have no history on the engine....do you think it worth it to check it all out first, or just wing it and pray........................

Old 09-25-2005, 06:10 PM   #24
hotrodhomi

If you have the motor out you are half way there. I would check it out.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:11 PM   #25
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I would pop the oil pand and replace the gasket and rear main seal while you're looking at the bottom end for anything bad. On the top take the valve covers off and look at the springs etc. for anything bad there. Replace those gaskets as well. It's cheap insurance.