The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
mrgoodwrench_420

68 trans swap need help

i am swaping a t5 into my 68 gmc short bed 2wd when i use the bellhouseing from the 3 speed the top of the trans hit the floor board and put the trans at a wierd angle i wouder if any one has ran into this before and had any tips the only thing i can think to do is cut a big hole int the floor and fab up some kind of hump or somthing
mrgoodwrench_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: 68 trans swap need help

You'll probably need to locate the bolt on style high hump tunnel. All 4 speeds, big blocks, or 4X4 trucks came so equipped.
You don't have a real stout engine there do you? I only ask becouse the T5 is known for falling apart. There's a reason they were never bolted to anything bigger than a 305 from the factory.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
modifiedGMC

Re: 68 trans swap need help

I assume you are using a car 5 speed. The bellhousing on the Camaro and firebirds have the 4 bolt holes at an angle, that's the way they mount. If you bolt a t5 up to a regular bellhousing it will sit at an angle, your trans mount will be at an angle. You can work around these problems if you want a t5 bad enough. But like he sais GM never put a t5 behind anything bigger than a 305 from the factory, they just were not rated for anything bigger. If you have a big engine or alot of torque, you may experience trouble if you hot rod it alot.Here is a pic of a t5 with the bellhousing it goes on. note the angle of the four moutning bolts (trans to bellhousing)

Last edited by modifiedGMC; 10-19-2005 at 10:06 PM.
modifiedGMC is offline   Reply With Quote