The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2005, 04:54 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Air filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss
I am for them too, and while I am at it I use fram oil filters as well. Not sure how this board became fram and K&N sucks.com but anyways use what you want and don't consider anyone's words to be more correct than your own's. If you have personally had a bad experience, then I guess tell us what you think and then we can take it or leave it.

While yes, ppl will do what they will do, and yes, some companies (like fram) will spend trillions to make you think there stuff is good, but hundreds in R&D (yes, i am exadurating), however, i get my info from an independant oil lab. That's all they do, test filters, inspect oils, do there own testing... ect. I normally try to back up my statements with a way for you to see it yourself.... like when I say, cut open a fram and look for yourself... no longer theory when you can see the proof in your own hands.

K&N is another evil one. How can a filter make more power... or more MPG? There is ONLY ONE way... by letting more air in.
How can you let more air in? Make the holes bigger.

I have been unable to come up with a test it for your self thing on the K&N filters, however, many members here will tell you there oil got pretty nasty once installing the filter... wild guess here, but the dirt in the oil probably came in through the intake.... being that there is no other way into a sealed engine.

How detrimental is it to not use fram and K&N? Well, obviously, you have almost 200K on your late model small block.... like everyone else does. Honestly, if I got less than 200k out of a late model, I'd be ticked...like my last late model chevy... junk at 160k.

Intereting point... a few of the auto makers started denying people waranty clames when a certian oil filter was used on the scheduled oil chainges. The auto makers did there own in house studys, and determined that this one particular brand of oil filter was not up to par, and didn't want to pay to replace the engines when they had less than adiquate protection. Well, the oil filter ppl took the car ppl to court, and when all was said and done, the auto makers ended up letting these sub par filters slide.
The courts told the auto makers that if you deny a certian brand of filters, then they (the auto makers) would have to supply the owner of the cars with a filter at no charge.
Yes, Fram was the sub par filter.

I can understand your questioning my (and other's) saying that fram makes junk filters, however, in this case, it is fact, and not opinion. It has been proven again and again, over and over.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote