The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2005, 12:58 AM   #1
THOR 50
Over worked under paid

Back up and brake light help

Need a little info guys.
My '69 was originally a 3 on the tree. It was converted to an auto 400TH. It appears that the column is correct for a auto truck but I've got no back up lights. Has anyone done this swap and can give me some real world advice?
Do I need to install a fresh back up switch in the column or check the wiring?

Also I recently lost my passenger side brake light only. The bulb works for the turn signal, tail light works with head lights but no brake light on one side. The tail light harness is intact from the plug in the crossmember and I have a brand new correct bulb.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:00 AM   #2
truckdude239

Re: Back up and brake light help

check the wireing from the plug back there an plug under the bottom of the truck toward the left fram rail on the bed that eveything plugs into i had to rewire all mine from there back
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:16 AM   #3
pjmoreland

You could test to see if the problem with your back up lights is with the switch by unplugging the connector from the switch and jump the two contacts on the connector together with a piece of wire. The connector has a light green wire and a dark green wire connected to it, and is located near the firewall, on the top of the steering column. If the lights turn on with the jumper in place, then your switch is either broken or not adjusted properly.

I'm guessing your turn signal switch assembly inside your column is worn out and causing your brake light not to work.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:23 AM   #4
BowTieMan

When I had my shifter on the column my back up lights didn't work half the time, but if I wiggled the shifter they would kick on.

I also have an odd problem were when I turn my turn signal on I lose my brake lights.
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Last edited by BowTieMan; 11-05-2005 at 02:24 AM.
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Both of you need new turn signal switches.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:31 AM   #6
THOR 50
Over worked under paid

Purchased a new switch figuring it's nearly 40 years old must have failed but it appears I'm missing the harness to it. Does anyone know of a source to purchase one or help a schematic?
Guess it would be called the trans control harness?
Strange part is the original MT harness seems to be gone as well...
Old 11-09-2005, 01:15 AM   #7
pjmoreland

What kind of switch did you buy? Did you by a turn signal switch, or did you buy a back up light switch?

Here's a link to wiring diagrams:

http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/wiringdias.html

Here's the page that shows the back up switch. It's in the upper middle of the page:

http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/instrum1.html

You should have a connector with one light green and one dark green wire running to it that should plug into the back up light switch. The dark green wire comes from the fuse panel, and the light green wire goes to the round connector next to the gas pedal that runs through the firewall, and back to the rear lighting harness.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #8
THOR 50
Over worked under paid

I appreciate the links! I baught a new back-up switch. Will try to post a pic so you can see why I'm having a hard time with this, thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
THOR 50
Over worked under paid

Looks like the 2 wires you referred me to are looped together. The old switch was a 4 prongs. The GP Sorenson replacement has 7 possible connections. Any help ?
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2005, 02:56 AM   #10
pjmoreland

The switch should have four prongs on it. Two are for the back up lights and two are for the neutral safety connector, which doesn't allow you to start your truck if you aren't either in Neutral or Park. I don't think your truck will have the neutral safety connector though if you had a manual transmission. The purple wire that runs from your ignition switch to your starter motor is supposed to be routed through the neutral safety switch. It's not totally necessary, but is a good idea safety-wise.

Looks like you need to connect those green wires to the switch. The green wires need to connect to the two terminals that are not parallel and not really close to each other. If they are looped together, then I wonder if the previous owner installed a toggle switch on the dash or something for turning on the back up lights?

I bought a replacement Neutral Safety/back up light switch from Autozone about 6 months ago for $4.95.