The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Austin C10
1972 C10 Cheyenne LWB

How to replace steering wheel, connect horn

Here's my problem. The recent owner of my 1972 Cheyenne replaced the steering wheel with a little cherry wood wheel. There is no longer a horn switch anywhere in the cab. My inspection sticker was stolen, and I failed inspection b/c of the missing horn switch.

I have 2 horns and followed the green wire from them to the firewall.

Where do I go from here? I'm sure everthing will be more evident when I get the wheel pulled off. I'd like to replace the steering wheel and reconnect the horn.

Obviously, I need a new steering wheel. I found a nice wooden Grant's and a plastic reproduction. How do I determine what else I need to reconnect the horn switch on the new wheel?

I was unable to trace the horn wire through the underdash harness. I found the relay box, but couldn't trace from there to the steering column. Basically, I want to be able to trouble shoot this if replacing the steering wheel, horn button, and connecting to the horn cancelling cam doesn't work. Where can I get a good diagram of the horn wiring?

Thanks!
Austin C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
Putter
More Cowbell....

Re: How to replace steering wheel, connect horn

Stupid follow-up question.....
How does one steal an inspection sticker?????
Old 12-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
Austin C10
1972 C10 Cheyenne LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putter
Stupid follow-up question.....
How does one steal an inspection sticker?????
I assume they use a razor type peeler. According to the inspection guys, it happens all the time

Its pretty lame, but I'm glad they didn't do me any other harm.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
MDC

the green wire goes to the horn relay under the dash on the inside firewall. there will also be a red and black wire attached to the relay. the res is power from the ign switch and the black goes to the horseshoe connector at the column then up to the contact in the wheel. you should be able to find a horn kit for the grant wheel and I want the wooden one you have. Hope this helps. PM me if you have more questions. BTW Welcome to the board from N Texas.
www.xpressboats.com

Nothing says 'poor craftmanship' like wrinkles in your duct tape
MDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
Austin C10
1972 C10 Cheyenne LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC
the green wire goes to the horn relay under the dash on the inside firewall. there will also be a red and black wire attached to the relay. the res is power from the ign switch and the black goes to the horseshoe connector at the column then up to the contact in the wheel. you should be able to find a horn kit for the grant wheel and I want the wooden one you have. Hope this helps. PM me if you have more questions. BTW Welcome to the board from N Texas.
Thanks for the welcome, this board is amazing.

Probably a dumb question, but why does the horn relay need power from the ign. switch? Is this the source of power for the horn? Will it work with the ign. off?

So you are saying that the black wire carries the signal down from the steering column, to the relay switch, where the red wire then transfers power to the green wire that goes all the way to the horns?

I'll let you know on the wheel. I've got to get a replacement before I do anything, but for the right price, its yours.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
MDC

1) Most (if not all) of your power runs through the switch, some w/ ign off, some w/ ign on, and some w/ switch in acc...Yes...and Yes. The accessories that run off of the red wire will work w/ ign off, the accessories that work with ign on run off of the pink wire on the ign switch. Can't remember right off what runs the acc position.
2) Yes Pretty much, the red wire junctions off to the relay before the ign switch.
3) OK Let me know
I have a wiring diagram for a 67(they should be pretty much the same). I'll see if it will scan. If so I'll send you a PM to get your email and send it to you.
MDC
www.xpressboats.com

Old 12-21-2005, 06:52 PM   #7
MDC

When your harness looks like this, you can see right where they all go

www.xpressboats.com