The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
bucket

why not an oil bath cleaner

I know this has been discussed a little way back but i would like to bring up again. is there any reason i should not run a oil bath cleaner on top of my 327? truck had one originally until i replaced the old 4g with an edelbrock. i will need an adapter ring but from what i have read, they filter better and flow good. should I? i kind of like the notstalia factor i guess...
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: why not an oil bath cleaner

I can't think of any reason not to run it - I ran mine on my 307 until I yanked it out to put in a 454.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I guess, if you want to run one, then you should. They're more of a pain to maintain, but they do filter well. Time is of the essence, as far as maintenance goes. So, my thinking is that those who maintain, and those who build, vehicles, just had a field day when the manufacturers went to the dry filter cartridges, instead of the oil bath air cleaners. Note the difference: The dry cartridges are called air filters, while the oil bath units are called air cleaners. Is the air really cleaner? I suppose there is some testing that has been done to show this trait. But, knowing that K&N and others have made a lot of money on their filters, which use a gauze material that is saturated with an oil, to filter/clean the intake air.....well, it just sorta says that the oil does provide a benefit.

A lot of old school maintenance is needed, and a lot of people were happy to replace them with dry element assemblies. Just be sure to service it when you change your oil, whatever the interval. Wash the element with a good solvent (Varsol, for instance), then the reservoir, before refilling the reservoir to the indicated level. If the level gets too low, the element may not have enough oil to filter out the dirt that may be in the air. So, yeah, the oil in them does need to be checked.....that's why the top comes off, while the base remains attached to the carburetor. Keep it tight, or it can wobble around and you don't want that.

Personally, I'm gonna stay with my K&N. I hated having to service the oil bath air cleaners, when I was younger and employed at an ESSO station.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
bucket

Talking Re: why not an oil bath cleaner

i like old school when it comes to this truck. it's not a daily driver and i only put about 3 to 4k miles per year on it so maintenance does not sound to bad. i am kinda suprised you don't run one chevloray since they are considered POS!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
edmonton72
Nothings as cool as my 72

I put special air filter oil on the air filter on my dirt bike and it helps keep dirt and dust from getting throw the filter and ruining my motor. So I guess there would be nothing wrong with the oil bath filter so you should run it if you want to.
Rolling chassis finally done and cab mounted. Now onto sanding, bondo and more sanding.
edmonton72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
crazyred
yeeha

Just some food for thought.....why don’t you just get a tall paper element or two short ones stacked up and stuff it in the housing .... put some silicone on top and bottom to make sure it seals good on the housing..... that way you get the old school oil bath look with the maintenance of a paper element. Will that work??? its what i was going to do....i just never got around to it yet

Don't drink and drive, you might spill something!!!

Daryl Kuchmak
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
jacobs

A few years back, Southwest Research Institute studied different filters and their effect on piston ring wear. They used a diesel engine and installed radioactive piston rings in it. By monitoring the radiation of the engine oil they were able to easily monitor the piston ring wear. They used a couple of different types of pleated paper air filters and an oil bath oil filter in this particular test while ingesting fine dust into the filter. The oil bath removed very little of the dust and ring wear was excessive while the pleated paper filters performed much better. After a "cake" of dust had accumulated on the pleated paper element, wear essentially ceased.

A while back, I found this research paper still available on the SAE website if anyone wanted to order it. I believe the price was around $10.
jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
jacobs

The above article is titled "Ingested Dust, Filters, and Diesel Engine Ring Wear" by Gary E. Thomas, Southwest Research Institute. Society of Automotive Engineers publication #680536, if anyone is interested. See http://www.sae.org/servlets/productD...PROD_CD=680536

Last edited by jacobs; 01-17-2006 at 08:16 PM.
jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #9
bucket

interesting. i wonder if the oil bath design is consistent across engine types.

thanks.