The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
mhicks

Great Idea, But No Plan (Yet) Help!!

I think I have a great idea but haven't figured out exactly how to do it. I have seen the commercials that have a trunk in the bed of a truck. I have a '73 with a wood bed. I am planning on replacing the wood bed soon and would like to implement the "trunk" into the bed. I would like to put it behind the rear-end and would like it to go all the way across the back of the bed (within a few inches from each side). I would like to continue the wood bed across the top of the metal or aluminum box that is mounted under the bed. I would also like to continue the metal strips ocross the top of the box box. Maybe outline the outer edge of the box with the metal strips also. I have thought on this but I think I would need a hinge that pops up before it starts to hinge back. Is something like that available anywhere? Any Ideas? I was also planning on putting a flush lockable latch with a half circle handle with a ring that wil lay down flush. Help me out!! Any Ideas?
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Re: Great Idea, But No Plan (Yet) Help!!

MIght do you some good to check out one of the late model trucks that offer this option. I think it would be handy as snot. If you do the mod, take LOTS of pics, so we can all learn a thing or 2

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I have thought about this as well. If you did a trunk similiar to how some guys mounted a fuel tank box under the bed it could work. Same principal on how it would mount but with a hinge at the top. You could use some hidden hinges like they have at Lowe's and Home Depot. They're called european hinges. They are cut into the wood and hide themselves. Hardest thing would be is to seal it completely from rain. You could use weather seal but any hard rain would get past it since being on a "flat" surface and limited runoff.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It sounds like a good idea for a nice secure place to stash things. I would consider having a aluminum box made with it's own lid so it will have a seal. You do realize that the spare tire will have to go...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
C-10volvo

if you dont have to deal with tanks for air ride and have only one gas tank, this would be a pretty cool mod. sealing up a wood floor would be pretty hard though after you cut into it.

if you take this on, pleeeaaase take pics!!
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
mhicks

If I do I will take pictures. Yes, I was thinking of making an aluminum box with a lid and then screw the wood to the top of the lid. That way I could use some good door weatherstriping for the seal. If the hinge was on the metal and the wood in the bed and on the lid were flush then the hinge would have to be on the wood. If it was on the metal then the lid wouldn't open unless the hinges would raise up the thckness of the wood before it starts the hinging process.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

There are aftermarket kits out there that will lift up one plank on the wood bed floors...for fuel door access when the fuel tank is under the bed. I bet a pair of those would work perfect for what you are trying to do. As far as water run off, you could build a channel around the compartment, with holes in it, that would allow any water that seeps thru between the door and bed floor to drain out without reaching your storage compartment.

Just a couple ideas.

If you do this, I would also love to see it...and would gladly welcome an article for 73-87.com...if you want to do it.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:00 AM   #8
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Sounds like a sweet idea and very trick if you can execute it. You have some good suggestions as well.

I don't think that you will be able to run the trunk across the width of the bed because of the frame rails. But, by modding the rear cross sill and the reinforcement strips under the bed, you can probably drop a 'box' between the frame rails. I haven't seen any plans, but I've thrown together a couple of pics. One pic with the trunk concealed (lid close) and one pic with the lid 'removed'. The trunk opening is bordered on the sides with the two of the bedstrips positioned above and just inside of the framerails. When close, the only seam seen would be the cut across the 4 bed strips and 3 planks just behind the differential. 1" by 1" square tubing could be used to build a frame underneath and inside of the perimeter of the lid. Then, the wood planks and bed strips can the mounted on the frame. Caulking can be used at the seams to make the lid waterproof/dustproof. For the hardware, you could try to find the hinges that Jeff suggested. I think Stacy (former host of TRUCKS TV) used those hinges on Copperhead. I don't remember where he got them. Maybe, Early Classic Enterprises?. Or, you could use a few (3-4?) european hinges that Brandon suggested. Blum makes good hinges. A stainless steel piano hinge might also work. But you would see the hinge when the lid was shut. You could also incorporate some woodworking lid supports to help lift and close the lid as well as hold it open. Check out Rockler (http://www.rockler.com) for options. Another option would be to hit the savage yard and find hinges and struts off of a compact car.

As far as the actual box goes, I figure you can build about 28" wide and 28" long box to fit between the frame rails and behind the differential with a depth of 14" give or take a few. The opening of box itself is less than the box dimensions and the dimensions of the lid by a couple of inches with a vertical lip around the perimeter of the opening. This allows the frame of the lid to rest on the box. The vertical lip is used to restrict water from entering the box. Car trunk weatherstripping (not shown in the pic) could be used to protect against the edge of the vertical lip and provide water/dustproofing. Maybe, the box can even be made from fiberglass instead of steel or aluminum.

My 2 cents ...

It would certainly be cool if you pull it off.

Good luck.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...

Last edited by boxrodz; 01-29-2006 at 01:34 AM.
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:21 AM   #9
bowtiehotrodder
SIX BANGER

that's a great ideal
1976 chevy dually 454
1969 chevy truck six shooter
bowtiehotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote