The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
shortbed72chevy

Question? Subs in Bed?

I got a 72 chevy truck about 2 weeks ago. It's in pretty bad shape but the motor is killer. Just getting into the classic seen. Went to a year one show loved it. I thinking about putting a pair of 15's I had in my 95 s10 blazer in the bed through the back of the cab. I've obviously noticed the gas tank has to be moved and a tonneau cover has to be put on.

Has anyone ever seen it or done it to a 67-72. If so does anyone have pictures of one done and how hard is it. I would love the info. I'll Probably be posting on here a lot. Thanx.
shortbed72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
matthufham

Re: Question? Subs in Bed?

the word to use would is a "blow through/threw/thru..." and i've never seen it done on our trucks. you could cover the sub box with something water tight and not need a tonneau, but i would like to hide the subs from thiefs. you would also need to cover the part between the cab and bed if you make the box in 3 sections. if you make a 1 piece design, make it removable so you can remove the bed if you need to one day. i would move the gastank under the bed for a couple reasons: room for junk, safety, weight transfer. we like to use the 67-72 blazer gas tanks because it bolts right up where the spare tire is on a newer truck. good luck and welcome from TEXAS!
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
pissonNOS

may I make a suggestion? it sounds liek you dont have a problem moving the gas tank, I would relocate it like matt said and put the 15's in a box behind the seat, I have a friend that did the blowthru on his S-10 he absolutely hates it now it was very pricey at the time he did it and how he has a huge hole in the back of his cab, if the 15's wont fit mayeb try some 12's they should fit no problem. Just my .02
Jason
Old 12-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #4
shortbed72chevy

thanx for the advice. I was thinking about putting the speakers in a box in the cab. But I have one problem I am having custom made bucket seats put in the truck with smaller back supports. because im 6' 9". so I have the thing about removing them down. but what do i make the water proof piece between the cab and bed so water doesnt get in between and get anything wet.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
matthufham

well i think a one piece box is the way to go. build that, and cut a hole it can slide through with a half inch or so gap then put door weatherstripping on it or something. with buckets, you'll be able to see the back wall over the center console, so my idea of a single 12 or something in a box wouldn't be very aesthetically pleasing, but hidden behind my bench is a single 12, it does enough bump. that's a phillips premier sub, although as of now its blown because i connected it to the home stereo without thinking of how many ohms i was using.

matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:48 PM   #6
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

If you have bucket seats building a custom console which houses a single sub like a SOLO X Kicker sub would be best. I have a blow thru with 2 15" kicker comps in my 94 FS truck. I love the sound and have had 0 problems with it. I kept the cutting nice and pretty and saved the piece I cut out. I plan to weld it back in if the times comes I need to do so.
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448

Last edited by phantom dually; 12-28-2005 at 11:49 PM.
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:51 PM   #7
pissonNOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbed72chevy
thanx for the advice. I was thinking about putting the speakers in a box in the cab. But I have one problem I am having custom made bucket seats put in the truck with smaller back supports. because im 6' 9". so I have the thing about removing them down. but what do i make the water proof piece between the cab and bed so water doesnt get in between and get anything wet.
the guy that did my friends used some heavy duty rubber from a truck shop? he said its really pricey something like 15 bucks a foot if someone knows what im talking about here? anyways he swears by the stuff and hes done quite a few boxes like this, have you thought of making a center console to house the sub? not trying to deter you away from ur idea just thowing more options out there for ya
Old 12-28-2005, 11:57 PM   #8
shortbed72chevy

Ive actually thought of building a center console to house my subs. i ve seen some good center console in truckin magazine and stuff. but never paid attention till i got a single cab truck. hey Phantom do you have any pictures of that 94 full size i want to see a truck with a blow thru.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:49 AM   #9
cflvulcan

i started making a center console for a 12" kicker L7. i dont think its gonna sound as good as being behind the seat but it should look good. ill post a pic of it when its worth showing.
cflvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 AM   #10
MisterMan
Account Suspended

make sure ya guys get the proper ft3!!! too much or too less will sound like poop. also, oh the many porting options....
MisterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Hay Hauler

you can buy the boots for between the bed and cab at an rv store. if you are wanting some ideas on what type of a console to build there is a lightning we just finished at the shop i work at acoustic edge. the web site is stereoschool.com-may be a little wild but will still give good ideas
Hay Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote