The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
ClemsonChevy
8 vehicles only 4 that run

My two new toys.........that might make one complete one.

Well, here are some disturbing pics of the two trucks I just bought. Paid 400 bones for the trucks, not counting the 4 16.5 inch tires, ($100 total) and the 3 so far 6 lug rims and tires ($45 so far).

One is a 1972 C20 w/ dana 60 rear, rear leaf, 8 lugs of death, 350/TH400.
I don't think there is one usable panel on this truck, lol.

The other is a 68 C10, no engine/tranny, three pedals and a z-bar, remnants of a wood bed under a bedliner. The body on it is 97.5% straight, the only thru rust is in the rockers/floor of cab. The bottom of the bed edges are completely rust free. The only bigger-than-a-ding dent is the little crinkle on the drivers front fender. And yes, the seat is in there....upside down....for some reason, Someone fill me in on "saddle tanks"? There are gas doors on the sides of the bed, but nothing behind them that I can see from underneath.

72 Chevy C10 LWB fleetside
ClemsonChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:11 AM   #2
ClemsonChevy

Re: My two new toys.........that might make one complete one.

We moved the 72 to my house yesterday......all day. I was too retarded to spring for a rollback tow for two trucks, so me and two friends attemped to get it onto a tandem axle car trailer. We chained up the front to my 95 2500 and pulled it up and away from the other truck and pointed it down a hill. one friend in the C20, me pushing it bumper to bumper with my 2500 and the other attempting to point minute directions to the poor friend stuck in a rolling bomb with no brakes and 75:1 steering. You get the picture.

First try, truck rolls up, front right tire runs on top of the trailer wheel well, and the back right tire falls off the ramp. So, we pull it back off.

Next try, truck rolls up, at the last second, the steering friend overcorrects (picture this with 75:1-like steering) and the front left tire goes off the ramp.
So, we attempt to pull the truck off, only to find that the front bumper has caught on the angle iron edge of one of the ramps. Yay. After 35 minutes of trying this and that, we get the truck back off.

Final try, possibly We get the truck lined up right and get 'er up on the trailer........mostly. My truck starts spinning tires once the front tires get on the trailer and the backs are on the ramps. So, I keep just off idle pressure on the truck while another friend uses a come-along to inch the truck up the ramps.

Then toward the top, my truck gets traction and we start pushing again. Toward the top, one of the fools who got conned into this mess with a fully paid hotdog lunch yells at me to look at my tires. My front tires were a full 2 feet off of the ground, while the back wheels of the V8 powered 4x4 s10 blazer that has the trailer hooked to it are up in the air as well. Another glorious mental image. Three trucks, with only 8 tires on the ground between them. My bumper was over the top of the rear bumper of the C20.

Once the C20 was on the trailer, I got out of my flying truck and chained the C20 to the front of the trailer. Then, I backed my truck off slowly (at this point the tires were only inches above the ramps) until I slid off, my tires hit ramps, the C20 jumped up, and the Blazer set back down.

So, we wound up towing with my 2500 as the Blazer was squatting like a beast. We got it home, chained the rear to a tree and pulled the trailer out from under it.

I'm getting a rollback for the C10, needless to say................
Old 02-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
70short/step

With Everyone There you Didnt have a Camera man?
Glad you finally got it home. Why get the rollback now?? Sounds like you have Truck Moving down to a science now!

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Clemson Chevy,
Where are you located at? I live in Liberty SC right outside of Clemson. I would like to meet some time. I'm looking at a 71 today step side in Liberty. A man bought it started on it passed away this past October. Daughter is saling it. Asking $5500.00 said it was negotiable. Auto,350 Looks pretty nice white.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Sure wish you guys had a camera man there those photos would be great!!!!!! Btw I have been there done that everytime I pull a new truck or car home I always ask myself why I did not just get a roll back..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

That C10 looks like anice start for a cruiser. The 72, well, thats gonna need some work. Good luck with them.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
ClemsonChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639
Clemson Chevy,
Where are you located at? I live in Liberty SC right outside of Clemson. white.
I live in Seneca, actually, but most people have at least heard of Clemson.
I have traveled to Easley many a times to work at the old theatre on the hill near Applebee's and the big church.

One of my friends got a small video on his camera phone of one failed attempt and a pic of my tires off the ground. I'll have to see if he can load them onto the internet.........

I might try to put the 68 bod onto the C20 frame. Kinda hard to get some pimpin' wheels for an 8 lug Dana 60, tho! Also the 68 has 4 wheel power drums, which is just plain scary.

By the way, I am still trying to get someone to tell me about the tanks that would've been behind those doors on the 68's bed. I've seen some board members trucks with 'em in some pics.

Last edited by ClemsonChevy; 02-12-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:58 PM   #8
72armyswbtruck

Been there done that, totally understand the frustration without a rollback
72armyswbtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Maybe we can hook up some time and see what each other has. I drive mine everyday except for when it's being worked on like the past week and a half. I've been suffering driving my 93 Suburban. I work out at Oconee Nuclear station.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:57 PM   #10
ClemsonChevy

Here is a pic of my truck in the air while pushing the 72 onto the trailer......look at my passenger tire. Second pic is the one of the blazer the trailer was hooked to.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:32 AM   #11
taylorde
Just A Tool Hand

Wellit looks great. I wouldn't suggest to try that by yourself!!! I did with the frame, frontend and all. It ws hard but I got it into my shop.