The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Shorty Cox

"Three on the tree"

Anyone had any luck in rebuilding the shifter for the column? If so, what steps did you take. Mine is always crossing up. I can drive it with no problems, but when Kitty, my wife, drives it, they "cross up". In order to keep the truck, one has to keep the wife happy.

Also, Has anyone adapted a later model three speed shifter to a '60's truck? If so, what year model will work?

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
bpmcgee

Re: "Three on the tree"

by "later model" do you mean floor shift? 4-speed floor shifters were optional on 60-66 trucks -- all you'd need is the tranny and the new cover.

FYI, the 4 speed was the SM420, I think. Granny first, no overdrive.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
Bowtie67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox
Anyone had any luck in rebuilding the shifter for the column? If so, what steps did you take. Mine is always crossing up. I can drive it with no problems, but when Kitty, my wife, drives it, they "cross up". In order to keep the truck, one has to keep the wife happy.

Also, Has anyone adapted a later model three speed shifter to a '60's truck? If so, what year model will work?

Shorty
Check all the linkage, there are bushings in each of the rods, also check the ones at the trans as well. it may help to aleviate that issue of the trans locking up in 2 gears, man I havent seen that in many, many years. as far as rebuilding them goes check with the Venders like Brothers, Chevy Duty, LMC they may have some some details as well as kits to rebuild these. Also just a note that these had little ball bearings that liked falling out when ripping it all apart. Brothers and Tee IT up and a couple other venders may also have a descent steering column you can replace it with and then try rebuilding yours and when your done put yours back in and resell the used one..
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Shorty Cox

Thanks guys, I don't want to go to a floor shift. I've called myself checking with the aftermarket sources for "rebuild kits". No one seems to make such a thing.

Shorty
Old 03-03-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
Shorty Cox

Now for another problem I'm experencing. When a signal light is one, "all lights"( tail, dash, dome) pulsate ever so slightly and the signal light blinks fast.