The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
nathan_454

temporary fix for floor pan

well I got moved back to washington state from arizona last week... and it took me all of 4 days to rip my blazer apart. I knew there was a couple small rust holes in teh floor pan.... I took all the mat and old nasty insulation out. and I found a hole under the pass seat from a driveshaft letting loose a few years back. and found 2 small pinky finger size rust holes. what is a good temporary fix until I can buy a mig welder to fix them right? it has been recommended to me to cut the rust around the holes out (creating about a 1 inch square hole) and just glue down a sheet of metal with silicon to fix the hole.

is this ok to do? it seems to me like it would be ok for a temp fix.??? I am stripping the paint off of the floor and am gonna use rust kill and paint with rustoleum to keep the surface rust at bay. but am not sure what to do about the holes. I can get pics if youd like.
nathan_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Re: temporary fix for floor pan

Well if you are going to strip her down completely you could use
some undercoating & a steel square just slightly bigger than the
hole your cutting as a temporary fix, but it will be a pita later
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Medicanman71
Account Suspended

when i fixed the spot in my tub behind my driver side rocker, i did it the right way (as said, cutting the hole, cutting a patch... welding it in, grinding them down etc etc, then used as little fiberglass filler(bondo) as possible to get it straight and smooth. I think coated the behind/other side with some sh!t in a spray can (dont remember what it was called - but that was its purpose).

I post because i have the same floorboard issue, just pulled out the crap from the driver side and there is a section i need to cut out. Part of it is the section that has a little groove/dip in is...

Also, i don't have a welder etc. anymore... would it cost more to have it fixed just enough to stop the cancer/rust from spreading (buy cutting it all out and doing what we just said) or buying the welder and learning out. this isnt any spectacular(sp) body work we're talking, just a 2-3" square patch in a floor board.
Medicanman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
nathan_454

yeah Im not sure what im gonna do just yet... there was a spot of surface rust about 10 inches round, where water from been getting in through the hole from the driveshaft... I can borrow a mig if i need too. we shall see. I will get some pics on wedensday when i go to my parents house. (where my blazer sleeps)
Old 05-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

I would say as long as the hole does not go to a natural break "edge" like to the rocker panel, than cut out the whole, grind to bare metal all around the edge, cut yourself a larger piece of metal overlapping about an 1" and use 3m 8115 metal to metal bonding adhesive. Good luck. Should work for temporary but actually it will outlast you having your Blazer I bet!!
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
nathan_454

yeah I think itll work ok for the hole from the driveshaft... the other rust holes im gonna leave for now. there not letting water in and i want to wait untill I can fix them correctly.