The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2006, 03:14 AM   #1
ian villeza

Locking the hubs

I was at the beach today and decided to lock my hubs and shift my 72 blazer on the fly from 2 HI to 4 HI. So I Blaze down the beach and everything is wonderful. Heading back onto the pavement I just could not seem to shift back into 2 HI on the fly. I eventually shifted back into 2 HI after I came to a complete stop, Reversed a bit and put the trans into neutral. So I drive home on the freeway with the hubs still locked and was wondering if it was my imagination or does having the hubs locked put more of a strain on the engine?
ian villeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
pound41

Re: Locking the hubs

I have notice with mine a small difference when th hubs are locked in. I know there was a recent thread on shifting etc. I was told by the previous owner when I got my blazer 20+yrs a go who was a fanatic to put it in N to shift the transfer case. Correct or not thats the way I have always done it. I don't think these were intended to shift of the fly like the modern ones
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
blazerparts
No,I DON'T have Tourett's

Shifting the transfer case "on the fly" probably wasn't even a concept in the early 70's
blazerparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
Medicanman71
Account Suspended

I've heard you can do it no problem in our trucks - i never have and hopefully won't ever have to. I think it's just looking for problems. PLEASE post a link to the shifting thread.

I only shift into 4x4 from N or Park. I also go in reverse a bit after i shift from 4x4 back to 2wd(2hi)... not sure you have to with our trucks/np205's but i've heard you must go in reverse for some trucks (toyotas?) after u go back into 2wd.

I havent been in 4x4 in tooo long (Esp for having a blazer!) , besides for completely rebuilting/getting new hubs... is there any thing i could spray in them before i go to flip them? I don't know that i'll have any problems, but i wouldnt be shocked if i did, and i'm just wondering what's best.

Don't 4 get the link to the shifting thread
Medicanman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
RunTMCfan

I just had my 205 rebuilt. The guys at a very well respected shop here in East County San Diego said the Tcase showed typicall signs of shift on the fly use. The Tcase did last 30+ years. He said later model (what ever that means) 205's were much better at shifting on the fly.

I remember a thread a few months back about this subject. I personally do not shift on the fly. Don't really see the need here. No snow and other than the last few years, very little rain.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
Big Block
Big Block

If your hubs are still locked in you will definitely feel it. It is turning the differential and front drive shaft even though the t-case is in neutral. So I guess you mean put more strain on the engine the answer is yes. When the hubs are unlocked the front wheels free wheel. I hope that makes sense Ian.

Last edited by Big Block; 05-12-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #7
makovai

I didn't even know shifting on the fly with a 205 could be done more than once
Meaning i thought you would eat the gears if you even thought about it. hmmm learn sumthin new everyday.
3/4 ton, cross steer, 4 wheel disc brakes
1996 Z71 w/ 35's
makovai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
Medicanman71
Account Suspended

Going to go out and give it a shot now, see what else you can bust?
Medicanman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #9
ian villeza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicanman71
I've heard you can do it no problem in our trucks - i never have and hopefully won't ever have to. I think it's just looking for problems. PLEASE post a link to the shifting thread.

I only shift into 4x4 from N or Park. I also go in reverse a bit after i shift from 4x4 back to 2wd(2hi)... not sure you have to with our trucks/np205's but i've heard you must go in reverse for some trucks (toyotas?) after u go back into 2wd.

I havent been in 4x4 in tooo long (Esp for having a blazer!) , besides for completely rebuilting/getting new hubs... is there any thing i could spray in them before i go to flip them? I don't know that i'll have any problems, but i wouldnt be shocked if i did, and i'm just wondering what's best.

Don't 4 get the link to the shifting thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=shifting
ian villeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
1969 GMC

I actually think my owner's manual says that you CAN shift on the fly at low speeds from 2Hi/4Hi, but NEVER into low.

The newer NP205's have synchros because of the advent of auto-locking hubs. Other than that, they arent any better or worse than old ones.

Personally, I don't like shifting on the fly. I never did, either, but then my Rockwell exploded. Sooo yeah. :p

Also, alot of vehicles came from the factory with drive flanges instead of hubs in the front axle. All of these vehicles spin the front axleshafts, diff, and d-shaft constantly. I wouldnt say there is a noticeable difference in engine life, but perhaps gas mileage.
In the winter, I used to lock my hubs in at the first snow, and unlock when spring came, just shifted in and out of 4wd as needed. Worked fine for me.

Last edited by 1969 GMC; 05-10-2006 at 07:01 PM.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote