The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2002, 02:23 PM   #1
iluvmy72

Cool LOL.....Dodge, Ford angry at GM

HA HA HA........a friend of mine(mechanic) told me that the 2003 trucks will have engines that are suposed to go 400000 miles on it and Dodges new body style this last year under fire because it resembles the Chevy.....in defense, Dodge said that it should be a counter sue because they say GM copied them.....GM then says "this has always been our body style and shows how clearly close it is to the 67-72 series trucks".....they're just bringing it back....and then Ford is real mad about the way GM went about putting a patent on the idea of changing from a truck to a SUV.....because they want to bring up a vehicle that can do that and Ford is claiming it to be a foul play and the idea and design doesn't meet the criteria for a patent.....which they've obtained....Gm is also making plans on a new blazer to have a conversion model like the Avalanche....I love it when the F%$# and Mopar worlds blame its woes on GM.....all they have to do is make something that they came up with on their own and make sure it's good quality....I don't see why they make it harder than it is.
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 03:12 PM   #2
Narkoleptik
69 GMC LWB FLEET

lol, gm owns
Old 10-07-2002, 03:18 PM   #3
Danny69'

Ok, I know I'm going to start a fire for this one but in my life I grew up with GM, Ford, and Mopar and have learned to love them all. My current project is a 69' Chevy LWB but I'm also working on a 55' Ford Pro-Street. Now I know that most of you guys don't like anything but GM, which is cool cause GM is great stuff. But come on now, it's all american built and you should be proud of that much. If Ford and Mopar are *****ing about copying and patenting, that sucks. But that's part of buisness and GM has dones it's share too. I dunno, just my personal opinion. Now don't kill me over this one.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:41 PM   #4
72step

I'm with ya Danny69, I don't want to start a war either, but they've all made real nice stuff in the past. Matter of fact, the Mopar Hemi engine back in it's day used to put Chevy under the table, and you were talking from the factory, and them old Cuda's and Chargers, were'nt light little pony cars either! I like all classics, but I gotta say that the brand new GM stuff is questionable to say the least when it comes to reliablity.
Why did Chevy axe the Camaro/Firebird? The way I look at it, that's GM showing the world (WE GIVE UP). For 2003, Ford just came up with the most powerful Mustang ever built with the 2003 Mustang SVT @ 390hp! Oh, and the new Viper at 500+ HP. I'm not sure if even the CORVETTE Z06 can keep up with the Viper.
Again, I don't want to piss anyone off, I think old Chevy's are very bada$$, and fun and easy to work on, but what I'm getting to here are new 2003 models, and these aren't opinions, these are facts.
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:49 PM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Believe it or not, GM kill the Camaro/Firebird themself. Focuse too much on the vette and ignored the Pony car folks. Spent too much time trying to fit in with the latest yuppy craze in styling and manors. Just my experience, but Mustang owners are a much more deidicated breed to their car. It's not a stepping stone to a vette. It is the car.

I have owned both and personally don't care for either, but I think F*rd listed to their owners and tweaked and improved it to give the owners what they wanted. I think GM blew it here when they ignored there customers and the sales plummeted. Firebirds were a bit more dedicated group, but GM says one goes both goes wasn't worth having the plant.

I look at it like the computer world. MAC owners are probably the most dedicated and loyal people to their machines.. to the death...reguards of whether things are done better with other machines or not. I think the Mustang owners are like that, and fortunately for them the manufacturer listens to them. GM blew it with the corporate policies.

On the same note I was reading in the Novemeber Classic Truck, and they referred to our group (67-72 GMs) as the second most loayl group of truck owners (50's F100...was first they say) only the loyality of the stang seems to exceed those two.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:03 PM   #6
sakohntr

new

All the new stuff is toooo expensive, too complex, too much plastic, and tooo weak. They forgot all about the customers who put them where they are. Keep drivin the old tin!
1972 C30 longhorn,BB/AT,A/C,Tilt,Toolbox,lokr
1987 K20 Chevrolet Suburban. 6" lift. 5.7L/TH400 1979 K60 GMC Coleman 4x4, 427/Allison.
sakohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:46 AM   #7
72step

I just hope GM turns things around soon. They're putting all their eggs in the SUV basket. Also I personally think their trucks are getting worse with time. What's with them? I had a very bad experience with a 99 Z71 I purchased brand new. To make a long story short, it was a $27k mistake. I got rid of it for a Dodge, which is more of a "truck". The Chevy was losing motor and tranny oil, and was more of a car. Of course GM told me it was within the "standards". Also it was managing 10 mpg, and they said it was within their "range". In my opinion the New Chevys and our trucks aren't even in the same category. The only thing that is shared is the emblem.

Last edited by 72step; 10-08-2002 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:42 PM   #8
busterwivell

I agree with the comments about the new GM. They cancel the Camero/Firebird, dump Oldsmobile and buy up Dauwoo and Kia and junk like that. If it wasn't for their trucks and SUVs, I think they'd be in real trouble.
If I had to buy a car TODAY, I'd buy a TRUCK.........Chevy, of course.......But I won't put my wife in one of these little pieces of krap.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:50 PM   #9
72step

Oh, and I forgot to mention the Caprice. Although it was a manufactured cop car, here in NM for example the state police were forced to go from an almost all Chevy fleet of cop cars to Ford because GM axed the Caprice. Now there's a few Impalas, but they are frameless pieces of junk too! If GM doesn't start turning things around 180 degrees pretty soon, I wouldn't be surprised if they went under in the future! And classic Chevys are going to be like studebakers or something
Old 10-08-2002, 01:54 PM   #10
busterwivell

Let's have Jon Moss and Bob Lutz make all the decisions from now on!
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote