The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Buckman

Unhappy expansion valve in airconditioning

I need help, my expansion valve in the airconditioner is bad. My mechanic would like to know if there is a conversion kit out there to replace the expansion valve that works better, or should I just go and buy a new valve.
Thx, Mike
Buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
Buckman

Unhappy expansion valve in airconditioning

I need help, my expansion valve in the airconditioner is bad. My mechanic would like to know if there is a conversion kit out there to replace the expansion valve that works better, or should I just go and buy a new valve.
Thx, Mike
Old 06-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
Buckman

Re: expansion valve in airconditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman
Thx, Mike
Any body???
Old 06-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
64fleetside

you can convert it, but exp valve is easiest & cheapest fix & some a/c guys feel they are best,,brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
Aarons72s

Last I heard Chevy Duty ( or what ever they call themselves now) has a updated poa valve. Hope this helps.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
hexafamily

I am going back with an original type expansion valve as we speak. Haven't seen any new designs. I did go with the updated POA valve.

'57 Chevy Nomad
'70 Buick GSX
'72 Cheyene (Boys' truck)
hexafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:56 AM   #7
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexafamily
I am going back with an original type expansion valve as we speak. Haven't seen any new designs. I did go with the updated POA valve.
And what was your experience with the "updated POA valve"? Why change back?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:02 AM   #8
stope4

I'd stick with the original expansion valve. If your original POA is working, why change it?

By the way, What is an updated POA valve?
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
Aarons72s

If I remember right it cycles the a/c compressor clutch like newer vehicles.

Last edited by Aarons72s; 06-03-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Bob B.

I think there's a little confusion here. These systems have 2 valves in them. First is the POA (Pilot Operated Absolute pressure) valve, which controls the pressure in the evaporator. It is a silver valve in the line from the evaporator to the compressor, and has 4 connections on it (in, out, a small oil bleed line, and small equalizer line to the expansion valve. The other valve is the expansion valve. It controls Freon flow into the evaporator. The expansion valve is mounted on the inlet to the evaporator. It is shaped like an inverted 'L', and is usually a cad-plated gold in color. The large line goes to the reciever/drier, it has the small equalizer line to the POA, and a small line that terminates in a sensor bulb under the insulation tape on the outlet line from the evaporator. Expansion valves are available from many suppliers, and usually run around $65 or so. Original type POA valves are no longer manufactured. New ones are out there if you look for them, but expect to pay $300. There is a 'POA Update' kit available. It eliminates the POA valve, and controls evaporator pressure by cycling the compressor off and on, like a modern system. It works, and it's a lot cheaper than buying an original POA valve. The problem is that the compressor clutch on these old system was not designed to cycle on and off like a modern system, and will wear out faster than it normally would. It doesn't seem to cause and abnormal wear to the A6 compressors, though. Since the compressor clutch is also available, and not terribly expensive, a lot of people with older G.M. A/C systems go this route.

Last edited by Bob B.; 06-03-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Bob B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:59 PM   #11
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Here is a link to BobbK's thread on A/C. There is a pic with a carquest part# for a late model orifice tube. This will get rid of your expansion valve. He did a lot of updates to his system so can't say if just switchin to an orifice tube will ba a good thing for ya. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=112463